What's a .DA file?

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
Squiddygoat
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Artist
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

What's a .DA file?

Post by Squiddygoat » July 1st, 2022, 5:55 am

Hello, I'm trying to use mkpsxiso.exe to add CD tracks to the disc.

The XML sample says a .DA file is needed in the filesystem, but I can't find any references as to how one is structured. Could someone point me in the right direction?

brill
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by brill » July 1st, 2022, 6:36 am

CD-Audio tracks - normal WAV file without compression (44100 Hz, 16-bit, stereo) and without 44-byte header at the beginning of the file (which can be trimmed by normal hex editor) and aligned to the whole sector volume (2352 bytes/sector). You can also change the extension to .DA right away, so that MKPSXISO starts seeing these files.

You should also take into account that there are 2-second gaps between tracks (sometimes even more). You need to take it into account and insert pauses for 2 seconds between tracks (2seconds*75sectors=150sect/sec -> 150*2352=352800 bytes). That is, before the main audio file will need to add a file filled with value 0x00 and size 352800bytes. You can connect via .bat file with copy command, For example:
copy /b "2secZeroFilled.bin" + "trackWithoutHeader.wav" "finalAudioTrack.bin"

Or you can create gaps with MKPSXISO script, if it can do it.

MKPSXISO should create references in the file system of Track1 to the Audio tracks (Track2,3,4... etc.). This is required by some SDK functions. Although in most cases it should work without references.
Dev console: SCPH-7502 + Xplorer with custom MultiRom firmware
Dev PC: Windows 98 SE, Celeron at 633MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD

Squiddygoat
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Artist
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Post by Squiddygoat » July 2nd, 2022, 5:09 am

Alright, thank you! I'll try this & see if it works.