XA audio file acting weird

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
bremsespor
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, Gamer, Student
PlayStation Model: 7502/1001
Discord: Bremsespor#0798

XA audio file acting weird

Post by bremsespor » June 22nd, 2022, 5:19 pm

Hi there... I've been trying to play an XA audio file, but whenever I run my game in an emulator it either sounds sped up or it slows the entire thing down.

I tried using duckstation at first, which made the audio sound sped up, it also kept spitting out a message saying Dropping 4032 XA frames because audio FIFO still has (an amount of frames) frames.
I then tried pcsx-redux, the audio played fine... but everything was running at around 4 fps, and the logs said Capture buffer is overflowing. Increase CB_SIZE.

Not really sure what going on, perhaps it's my XA file, which I made from a WAV 16-bit PCM file (converted using Audacity), which I then turned into a 37.8 KHz XA file using MC32... The original audio file was simply downloaded from YouTube.

I've been trying to find usable XA files from existing games (even when as far as to try and rip them myself) so that I could find out if was the emulators or my code that was messing something up, but I haven't had any luck in finding one that fits my scenario. I've also tried listening to my XA file in using XAplay, and it sounds fine.

If extra information is needed, just ask, also... here's a link to a Github repo with the entire project.

Thanks in advance.
How dare you go through my tower without even saying hello!
- Old Man Balue

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 23rd, 2022, 12:16 pm

Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

bremsespor
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, Gamer, Student
PlayStation Model: 7502/1001
Discord: Bremsespor#0798

Post by bremsespor » June 24th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Thank you so much... Everything is working all fine and dandy... turns out, it was the way I was converting my WAVs into XAs. pcsx still screams about it's overflowing capture buffer, but it runs fine, and every other emulator I've tried has no problems.

Again... thanks :praise
How dare you go through my tower without even saying hello!
- Old Man Balue