Not getting CD-DA to work...

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
Jaberwocky
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Not getting CD-DA to work...

Post by Jaberwocky » March 15th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Heyho,

so I'm having issues with sounds again - seems like I'm not best friends with it. However, compared to two month ago I was able to at least play VAG and XA files - so I made some progress. Now I wanted to try CD-DA but... I fail and I have no idea why.

I grabbed a .mp3 file and converted it to .wav, making sure it is 44100Hz, 16bit and well... - I can attach a screenshot of it. I placed it on my CD as an Audio track and well... what I heard, sounded more like playing the data track instead of the song I have. (Will attach a video but the sound is terrible!; I didn't - cause I was not sure about increasing the size of my post)

I then moved to "psx\sample\scee\CD\CDPLAYER" in the PSYQ folder, copied the project and made it compile and building a CD. I had the same issue again! The program tells me all the time, that it only found one track, even if I remove my song! I also tried CDGEN and converted the ccs file to CTI - same issue.

Attachments:
I needed to add .txt to my files, otherwise I was not allowed to upload them. The CTI file is from CDGEN and CTI.mine is the one I maded by hand. Both behave kinda the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 16th, 2020, 12:47 am

I've found that the CDDA mastering process by CDGEN and BUILDCD don't work for me either and I couldn't ever figure out why. XA was no problem, but I always had issues with CDDA.

What I found that worked in the end was using LameGuy64's MKPSXISO program. If you use this instead, CDDA plays and works perfectly fine :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Jaberwocky
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Jaberwocky » April 3rd, 2020, 5:00 am

Thank you Shadow! That tool is really awesome :D

I tried burning the ISO with CDBurnerXP - but sadly this didn't worked out. I hoped to get rid of Alcohol120%. However, still an awesome tool x3

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 3rd, 2020, 9:58 am

Always test it in an emulator before burning a CD-R (it'll save you time, money and discs).
I highly recommend using XEBRA and NO$PSX to test your programs.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Jaberwocky
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Jaberwocky » April 7th, 2020, 4:07 am

Shadow wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 9:58 am Always test it in an emulator before burning a CD-R (it'll save you time, money and discs).
I highly recommend using XEBRA and NO$PSX to test your programs.
I couldn't agree more! I mostly use NO$PSX - I had issues with XEBRA.... but I forgot what I was >O> I need to double check