Ps1 SCPH-1002 strange sound problem and no vibration

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
vj88
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Ps1 SCPH-1002 strange sound problem and no vibration

Post by vj88 » March 13th, 2017, 11:34 am

Hi!! At first forgive me for my bad english, I'm writing here cause I have just purchase a scph-1002 and since I'm not very knowledgeable on-topic I need help about this two problems:
1) No vibration on controller. I read somewhere that it could be a fuse problem( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... KBGCOVMHj0 ) but the shopkeeper told me that since SCPH-1002 being out before Dual Shock, it doesn't have vibration...is it true?
2) Sometimes while gaming a random sound go on loop! For example the "plant fart" in Tomba!/Tombi! or when Sir Daniel Fortesque get hit by something. I have to pause the game or sometimes to finish a level to make it stop go on and on (meanwhile other sounds play normally..but if I repeat the action, fart for exaple, then two sound of the same tipes goes on loop).
PS the shopkeeper has already changed laser and everithing else asaid sound and vibration works very well.
Any help, suggestions or ideas please?
Tnks a lot!
Playstation: Net Yaroze DTL-H3000
(with AK4309AVM mod and DTL-H1100 external PSU)
Parallel I/O Port: PSIO
PSX BIOS: V2.2 NTSC-UC

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » March 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Your supplier is mistaken - all the PlayStation models, including the very first ones, will operate with Dual Shock controllers - the most likely problem is, as you thought, the 8V fuse that supplies power to the controller ports and the parallel expansion port on the rear panel.

If this fuse is blown, everything else will work correctly, but the rumble function will be disabled.

The audio problem sounds like either a bad SPU or bad SPU RAM - most likely the SPU itself, although the RAM is quicker and easier to swap so possibly worth checking first.

vj88
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by vj88 » March 13th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Mmm..at first tnks for your reply, there is guide somewhere in order to find the correct fuse? And what about spu/ram? If I have to swap them...how to know where they are and where to find them? Another ps 1002? I'm sorry...As I said I'm not very knowledgeable...and don't think that reseller could help me since he didn't even know about vibration compatibility...-.-

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » March 13th, 2017, 2:22 pm

The EXT +8V fuse is PS602 - if you look next to and just below the power input connector on the main board, I think it's the fuse on the right.

If you have the main board with the RCA sockets facing towards the rear, the SPU and RAM are just below them. The RAM is a standard 256kw x 16 bit DRAM, but the SPU is a custom part. The part number for the SPU is either CXD2922 or CXD2925 depending on which version of the main board you have. As far as I know, the only source for this part is another console.

The RAM is just above the SPU.

vj88
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by vj88 » March 13th, 2017, 10:23 pm

I'm testing it with crash ctr and no sound loops at all by now...could it be a game disk problem? However tanks you very much!!!