PS1 reverb

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

PS1 reverb

Post by DD-Indeed » February 6th, 2017, 2:58 am

Yes, opening another topic, this time because just of an interest concidering the PS1 audio chipset. Now, I've recently played some games and noticed, that they contain a lot of reverb, that makes the sound ''hum'' too much with my audio equipment (just a good soundbar and no any effects on that). I read somewhere, that PS1 has build in reverb, but I just wonder, that is it possible to disable it just to see, if it makes any difference ? Or perhaps, could PSIO do such setting changes to the chipset ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 11th, 2017, 6:25 pm

PSIO wouldn't be causing it, but it sounds like a problem with your PlayStation. A sound chip could be faulty or capacitor could be failing. It could also just be your audio settings on your amplifier or TV :shrug
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » February 11th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Matt wrote:PSIO wouldn't be causing it, but it sounds like a problem with your PlayStation. A sound chip could be faulty or capacitor could be failing. It could also just be your audio settings on your amplifier or TV :shrug

I dunno, that how much difference there is with those soundchips between the consoles, currently I'm using 5502 because I tested out that 3rd party Action Replay cartridge I mentioned on the other topic. Played some Gran Turismo 2 on it and the engine sounds have huge reverb in them and they become extremely loud because fo that. It could be also about the sound mix of the game, but it shouldn't be about the devices, since TV just puts the sound through without any effects into the Yamaha soundbar, that also doesn't have any reverb effects, only clear vocal and bass extension on. But when I disable them, it won't clear the issue. I began to wonder, that have people tweaked those sound chips ? I understanded, that it has build in reverb effect, but I don't know, that is it adjustable or can it be disabled in any way.

Edit: And when I mentioned, that could PSIO do such thing to the PS1, I meant, that could PSIO adjust any of the internal parts of the console ? Since it's hooked to the motherboard, I assume, that it could also be used to adjust certain stuff in the motherboard, if they are adjustable.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » February 11th, 2017, 8:33 pm

The reverb is a feature of the Sound chip in the PS1, it is internal to the soundchip and I doubt it can be altered using external stuff.
The programmer can choose to use the reverb or not, and tweak it using values.
So, unless you modify the internal sound program of the game, I doubt you can do anything about it.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » February 11th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Orion_ wrote:The reverb is a feature of the Sound chip in the PS1, it is internal to the soundchip and I doubt it can be altered using external stuff.
The programmer can choose to use the reverb or not, and tweak it using values.
So, unless you modify the internal sound program of the game, I doubt you can do anything about it.

Allright, thank you for this answer. And that's pretty much impossible, if not hard, and would be very difficult to implement into gameplay itself.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 12th, 2017, 1:25 am

Unfortunately I'm not sure if different models altered the reverb value.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.