"Audiophile" Question

Audio and Music (Sound Processing Unit) based area of development, including VAB, XA, etc
ellison
BANNED
BANNED
I am a: NEET

"Audiophile" Question

Post by ellison » October 16th, 2016, 8:11 am

Is anyone brave enough to explain the physics of this? I've seen multiple instances on the web of people doing this and I'm extremely skeptical.

http://dogbreath.de/PS1/Damping/Damping.html

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 16th, 2016, 11:49 am

I don't know if it'd make a difference in audio quality since there is no scientific evidence proven on that website, but as for shock absorption, yes, that would work. I'd imagine it'd help with the shock absorption considerably. If you bump a desk that a standard PSX is on, even if you bump the PSX moderately lightly with your index finger, it skips. This (somewhat ridiculous) rig would iron it out quite nicely. Then again, a new CD-ROM drive wouldn't have this severe issue since the plastic trackers wouldn't be as worn and they would lock better with less 'play' room so the real rubber springs that the CD-ROM drive mechanics ride on actually take the real shock.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

ellison
BANNED
BANNED

Post by ellison » October 16th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Yes, at least his PlayStation is earthquake proof.

ellison
BANNED
BANNED

Post by ellison » October 16th, 2016, 4:22 pm

It might be a vestigial tendency from the days of the vinyl player. If what he did was to a vinyl record player it would give better sound quality. The same principle of selecting a tone wood on a guitar.

That's my theory on his theory.

Someone
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Someone » October 16th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Those audiophiles... Don't believe everything they say, because they are delusional and often very ignorant people.