Waiting function

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
ThePSXFan
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-102

Waiting function

Post by ThePSXFan » March 31st, 2016, 4:38 am

So, I'm doing a homebrew game using the PSY-Q SDK.

Is there a way to wait (sleep) for some time, without using the VSync way?

I want to have frames that are redrawing in a while loop, and in the meantime wait for a period of time and jump to another part of the program, since VSync won't work, because the frames won't redraw anymore during the VSync function.

Thanks.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 31st, 2016, 5:12 am

Put your rendering code in a separate function and keep calling it (IE: keep swapping double buffers, but don't update the order tables). This will keep the GPU free-running whilst you update other things. If you need more help, you'll have to share your code since it's hard to guess what you're trying to do exactly since (for example), some CD-ROM functions are the 'blocking type' which means the whole PSX is interrupted until the CD tasks are completed.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » March 31st, 2016, 6:05 pm

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Hsync and Vsync are always running.
It doesn't matter if your displaying anything or not.