Images to TMD

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
Leirisal
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-9002
Discord: leirisal#0420

Images to TMD

Post by Leirisal » February 6th, 2023, 11:24 am

Hello, I was wondering if there's a simple way (or even a tutorial) on how to convert a picture into a TMD file (so i can set a custom flat logo on launch)
Is that possible? Or does it have to be a 3D object?

PS: I have very little 3D modelling experience.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 6th, 2023, 12:00 pm

Who or what is supposed to display TMD files when launching what?

TMD files contain models.
TIM files contain bitmaps.

If you want to use a TMD to display a bitmap, then the TMD model would need to contain a single rectangle/polygon, with the corresponding bitmap being stored in a separate TIM file.

But that's terribly overcomplicated, it would be much easier to just display a bitmap, without using TMD models for that purpose.

Leirisal
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Leirisal » February 6th, 2023, 12:25 pm

nocash wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:00 pm Who or what is supposed to display TMD files when launching what?

TMD files contain models.
TIM files contain bitmaps.

If you want to use a TMD to display a bitmap, then the TMD model would need to contain a single rectangle/polygon, with the corresponding bitmap being stored in a separate TIM file.

But that's terribly overcomplicated, it would be much easier to just display a bitmap, without using TMD models for that purpose.
Oh so there is a direct way to just show a 2D image on the splash screen? I just started looking into this and I was assuming there were only 3D models.
My idea was to create a file to inject with the PSX Boot Editor, but that one only supports TMD files, from what I can tell...

If there's another way, I'd like to know

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm

The PS logo on the cdrom? That is displayed as raw TMD without any TIM bitmaps.
And the console will treat the disc as unlicensed and won't boot the game if you edit a single byte in that TMD file (unless you want to make or buy an expansion rom cartridge to bypass that license check).

Leirisal
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Leirisal » February 8th, 2023, 7:01 am

nocash wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:45 pm The PS logo on the cdrom? That is displayed as raw TMD without any TIM bitmaps.
And the console will treat the disc as unlicensed and won't boot the game if you edit a single byte in that TMD file (unless you want to make or buy an expansion rom cartridge to bypass that license check).
Yes I meant the PS logo on the CDROM. Then I assume that will bring us back to the first question.
If i wanted to replace the PS logo with a simple picture would it require to create a thin rectangle with a texture on it? No other way around it?

As for the license check, I have a modchip on my PS1, so that wont be an issue.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » February 8th, 2023, 1:41 pm

Modchips are bypassing the SCEX check, I have never heard about a modchip that could bypass the TMD check, are you sure that your modchip can do such things?
Even then, the boot rom is loading a plain TMD without texture, and there is no way to add textures to that. What you are trying to do isn't possible.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 9th, 2023, 6:26 am

Leirisal wrote: February 8th, 2023, 7:01 am If i wanted to replace the PS logo with a simple picture...
Use Losers bootedit program.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.