Truespace 3 released with PSX development support?

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Truespace 3 released with PSX development support?

Post by gwald » January 28th, 2023, 3:45 pm

I was searching for truespace docs, and the playstation BBS pdf (ie Silas S. Warner) came up, apparently there was a Sony PlayStation build of truespace v1 which supported PSXDEV formats (3D .RSD 2D .TIM), v2 retail versions didn't, as mentioned in the BBS.

both version 3.2 and v3 SE have support for RSD and TIM support built in! :bananacool2:

3.2 is newer, so would recommend that over v3 SE.

The 3D Graphics Tools pdf mentions:
trueSpace for PlayStation (DTL-S280), supplied by Caligari Inc., supports the RSD format. Thus, the RSD
file can be handled directly.
NOTES: trueSpace for PlayStation directly reads RSD format without using DXF.
In this tutorial, the extrusion function (sweep and slice) of the 3D modeler called trueSpace for PlayStation is
repeatedly used to prepare the helicopter.
It's not a truespace tutorial, but a guide on the asset pipeline for psx dev.

From my quick test, it does handle those formats natively and I would guess would be a close WYSIWYG 3D tool.
I'm just surprised they publicly released it like that, or do these 2 archived, just happen to be special PlayStation development versions?

I would recommend TS v3.2 for anyone wanting to do psxdev with 3D, it's a simple tool to pick up and learn, and still very powerful (animation,Inverse Kinematics, physics... soft/organic and rigid modelling). Click help -> task Tutorials and watch them played back!
It runs well in a VM for correct mouse handling (File->Preferences->Tablet [X])

But if you really want to learn 3D modelling and be able to use it in more modern projects, I'd recommend the newer 7.6 versions, which were made free by microsoft.

I textured a box with the dino texture.
edit:
created box
imported .tim
save as, .rsd
opened in RSDTool

V3.2 can also open .rsd but it's not listed in the file type options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » January 30th, 2023, 6:58 pm

Looks like it was released with PSX formats, it was documented in this book "Caligari trueSpace3 for dummies by Swan, E. W", page 25. :o :shock: :P
https://archive.org/details/caligaritru ... ew=theater
Developers for the Sony PlayStation can also choose the RSD format to create models for PlayStation games.

Also, older versions were often made free, to raise awareness of the new version.. so TS 3.2 is free. :mrgreen:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030415072 ... _free.html