DTL-H201A Graphic Artist Board

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
Jackhead
Verified
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

DTL-H201A Graphic Artist Board

Post by Jackhead » January 18th, 2023, 1:51 am

I got a new in box Artist tool some years back and want to find more infos about it.
First at all i asking a dev telling me it was not really used, more a cheap option for Graphic artists only.
PSXgraph on the SDKs hold some programms where it looks like the H201A is used.
For example the Sprite Editor. It only open with a installed H201A.
There is also a Animation Editor called mimewave where you can preview animations
The preview has a selectable option for the Artist board. But on my setup its not active. I dont know why.
I can only choose the normal devboard for preview. :shrug
Anyone here used to working with a H201A?

Here some shots from the english flyer, im not sure they are still on the web:

PS1 Dev PC: DTL-H2500, H2510, H201A, H800, CDU921S, CD-Emu PSY-Q on Asus P2B with Win98SE

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 18th, 2023, 6:03 am

I've used the artist board before. I managed to run the program which lets you render 3D stuff. It worked, but mapping textures to 3D objects is basically impossible due to how poor the program interface is. Instead, I used Lameguys Blender export tool for doing the 3D stuff and then I threw the final TMD with the mapped TIM texture into a Psy-Q sample which could render it for me so I could see how it looked. From there, I tweaked the code and improved on it to prevent clipping and used dual-double ordertable buffering (quad buffering) to help fit more polygons per ordertable slot to fix the poor indexing on 3D models.

The card itself is pretty much useless. The only useful cards are the development cards (H2000, H2500, etc). Real work is done on those cards :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.