[PROBLEM FONT SYMBOL] FNTPRINT NOT PRINT "¿" AND "ñ"

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
metalex10
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

[PROBLEM FONT SYMBOL] FNTPRINT NOT PRINT "¿" AND "ñ"

Post by metalex10 » May 30th, 2021, 9:32 am

Hello everyone, today I have this problem but I know what it is and why but I don't know how to solve it, here I explain myself
As you know, FNTPRINT () is used to paint the letters on the screen, but as you will also know, the ps1 font is with the US alphabet in English, so logically it has fewer letters and symbols than Spanish and here the problem, which does not paint the symbol "¿" and "ñ"

So is there any possibility to edit the TIM OR the LIBGPU library to edit the FONT.c or FONT.h?

or is it required to do the project in another sdk, I use psyo but I have seen that there is a psxdknoob where a psxgpu library is decompiled, they believe that it is possible to add that library to psyo

inc^lightforce
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Programmer Windows+PS1, GFX Artist
PlayStation Model: Black

Post by inc^lightforce » June 23rd, 2021, 10:22 pm

use PSYQ and draw your own bitmap font with the missing symbols.
if you don't know how to display a bitmap font , have a look into my workshop:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... =272#p2073
Last edited by inc^lightforce on August 2nd, 2021, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 28th, 2021, 4:42 pm

metalex10 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:32 am Hello everyone, today I have this problem but I know what it is and why but I don't know how to solve it, here I explain myself
As you know, FNTPRINT () is used to paint the letters on the screen, but as you will also know, the ps1 font is with the US alphabet in English, so logically it has fewer letters and symbols than Spanish and here the problem, which does not paint the symbol "¿" and "ñ"

So is there any possibility to edit the TIM OR the LIBGPU library to edit the FONT.c or FONT.h?

or is it required to do the project in another sdk, I use psyo but I have seen that there is a psxdknoob where a psxgpu library is decompiled, they believe that it is possible to add that library to psyo
The PlayStation BIOS only has support for Japanese and English characters (as well as some generic ASCII symbols). If you want Spanish, you'll need to make your own font table and rendering system.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.