Allocating an Ordering Table with calloc3/malloc3

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
Jaberwocky
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Allocating an Ordering Table with calloc3/malloc3

Post by Jaberwocky » April 7th, 2020, 4:21 am

Hey everyone,

I have a silly question again >o< Don't get mad at me!
For my "game" I prepared an OrderingTable for some elements by declaring globaly:

Code: Select all

#define OT_LENGTH     10

GsOT     Wot[2];
GsOT_TAG zsorttable[2][1 << OT_LENGTH];
int      activeBuffer;
And setting them up with:

// set OT resolution
Wot[0].length = OT_LENGTH;	
Wot[1].length = OT_LENGTH;

//set OT on OT handler(0)
Wot[0].org = zsorttable[0];	
Wot[1].org = zsorttable[1];
This works all fine! I'm happy x3 And the story could end there buuuut! I wanted to be really cutting edge and wanted to allocate a dynamic OrderingTable using calloc3. So I prepared the memory allocation with:

extern u_char* const __heapbase;
extern unsigned long __heapsize;

inline void setupHeap()
{
	InitHeap3((unsigned long*)__heapbase, __heapsize);
}
And well... allocated a new GsOT, GsOT_Tag - just like I did in the global memory. Running my code however makes NO$PSX not happy at all! I replies with: "endless link-chain in gpu linked list dma" and the screen goes all fancy.

I played around with this a bit! Using the old calloc for allocation will make the code work. I figured out that calloc3 allocates like at the end of the heap, while calloc allocates at the start of the heap. So I guess it has to do something with really high addresses? But since the GsOT and GsOT_Tag are both allocated via calloc3, they wouldn't have big offsets...

I feel like I do something fundamentaly wrong :/ Sorry again >o<

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 7th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Make 'activeBuffer' volatile for compiler optimisation.
Your arguments to InitHeap3 are incorrect because they are calculated wrong.

Do what I do to get the maximum size available for the heap.

extern unsigned long _bss_objend;

void InitHeap()
{
	u_long stack = 0x801FFFF0; // default stack for this PS-EXE (as defined in SYSTEM.CNF)
        u_long _stacksize = 0x10000; // 64 KB (make this smaller for simple programs)
	u_long addr1, addr2;

addr1 = (stack - _stacksize);
	//printf("addr1 = %X\n", (int)addr1);
	addr2 = (addr1 - (int)&_bss_objend);
	//printf("addr2 = %X\n", (int)addr2);

//printf("\nUsing the end BSS address %X for InitHeap3\n", (int)&_bss_objend);
	//printf("Reserving %d bytes for InitHeap3...", (int)addr2);

InitHeap3(&_bss_objend, addr2);
}
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Jaberwocky
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Jaberwocky » April 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Sadly - your suggestions didn't fixed the problem I still have the same issue as before.

Also.... Using your code gave me the same base address for the heap, like __HeapBase did - size were different however...

Edit:
Please end me x.x"
The riddle is solved now - it was me all along! Before allocating the buffer for the GPU stuff, I also allocated a buffer to read a file from disk. Turns out, that buffer was to small for the give file - so the file was happily read into my OT buffer, setting the value of the length to a very high value...

I feel stupid xD