24-bit Images

Graphic based area of development (Graphics Processing Unit), including the Geometry Transform Engine (GTE), TIM, STR (MDEC), etc.
t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
Motto: /\OX[]
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

24-bit Images

Post by t0rxe » May 31st, 2013, 6:24 pm

Hi. Does anyone have an example of displaying 24-bit images?
I tried using Sony's example, but their RGB24.OBJ (psyq/psx/sample/graphics/BASIC) is missing some routines required for their code (RGB24.C) and hence wont compile.
"Nostalgia isn't a big enough word to describe the PlayStation from my eyes"

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » May 31st, 2013, 7:54 pm

I'm currently working on one but I'm having trouble with my buffered file loader...I'll release it along with source once I've fixed the problem and adding a file selector.

Link to the thread:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=304
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » June 1st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Well, I fixed Sony's example. Here is RGB24 all working :)
It has a 'puzzle' solving algorithm in it that will be need to ripped out in order to display the 24-bit flowers correctly.

Help on creating BS images using MC32 would be fantastic, as I have been trying but during psymake I get the error "image.bs:1: parse error before character 240". If I play around with the sector and or CD-ROM info, I get different compiler errors, such as "more {'s than {'s". Very weird.
RGB24.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

t0rxe
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by t0rxe » June 6th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Okay, there is a very useful document in the Psy-Q Software Development Kit Documentation CD-ROM called 'MDECNOTE.PDF' that explains .BS files.

When I create my .BS file from my .TIM using MC32 or Movie Converter, the file it gives me looks like this when edited with notepad. This is why I was getting those weird and random compiler error messages I described above:

However, Sony's FLOWER.BS looks much different:

I tried converting mine to a header file using BIN2H, but all I get is a black screen.
The compiled PS-EXE seems to be causing the PSX to freeze...

Any suggestions?
FLOWER.BS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Orion_
Verified
Legendary Programmer
Legendary Programmer
I am a: Programmer
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by Orion_ » June 6th, 2013, 9:32 pm

The "0x..." format isn't a binary format, it's simply a binary file converted to hexadecimal values for easier include into your C program.
But for example, when loading an external data from CDrom, you will need to load the binary file, not the hexa file !!
My library can load BS file but I didn't made an example on how to use it, gotta find out by yourself until I find some time to make more use samples of my lib.
Retro game development on Playstation and other consoles http://orionsoft.free.fr/