Yaroze Tutorial in spanish magazine (SuperJuegos)

Confidential documents, images and information by Sony and miscellaneous hackers for the Net Yaroze
koi-fish
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: casual dev & modder
Motto: Motto:rola68K
PlayStation Model: PSXpi

Yaroze Tutorial in spanish magazine (SuperJuegos)

Post by koi-fish » December 10th, 2020, 4:44 am

This was taken from archive.org and I remember reading by the publication date while eating a bollycao (full nostalgia)
https://anonfiles.com/j6a7s6xdpe/Tutori ... rJuegos_7z
It's compressed because it's the individual pages as jpg files. Felt too lazy to assemble a pdf.
It was never finished, just dissapeared out of thin air withouth a single word about it. You can figure out the reason: such a tutorial was not feasible in a 2 to 4 pages section in a monthly printed magazine, it required a dedicated magazine which never happened or the US-Only PlayStation Underground CD Magazine digital format.
This is just for preservation purposes, it really doesn't cover anything unknown and there's more complete tutorials avaliable in the MetroWerks CodeWarrior CDs and the archived Yaroze websites.
But it could be interesting to read a basic introduction with another words and workflow, specially for spanish readers.
Anyway, here's a basic index for you to know or in case you are suspicious about the attached download and want to get the thing by yourself:
[Format: Issue. Topics]
#61 Getting started, Tools(I), sample: "Hi,World!"
#62 Tools(II), C lesson
#63 VRAM, C lesson
#64 C lesson
#65 C lesson, Gamepad(I)
#66 Yaroze Euro Demo CD review (bulk content)
#67 section unavaliable
#68 section unavaliable
#69 (January'98!) Gamepad(II), sample: Pong (I) (in this issue they also states they had a "few months vacations" from the tutorial and that they are experiencing some problems with it. It also subtly warns about a near magazine sections rearrangement and announce the dropping of the C lessons to focus in Yaroze. They were enthusiast young kids, that's for sure)
#70 Functions, sample: Pong (II)
#71 section unavaliable
#72 Yaroze JP Demo CD Review (more bulk content. section in agony)
#73 Sprites management (promise of further details and sadly end of history)

I got until issue 81, January 1999. Times were changing, Dreamcast and Virtua Fighter 4 was a reality thus the new console generation... NetYaroze times content and another section dedicated to Amiga disappeared from the magazine and slowly also from the scene. At least in Spain.

Hmm... I wonder if there was something similar and with different ending in another publication of the same years.
Candidates: EDGE, OPM, PlayStation Underground, Dengeki PlayStation, Weekly Famitsu...
But not going to dive in... I had a really bad nightmare concernig this. Moreover, we already have plenty of info to get us quick started.
Hyenas are taking over the world!

Xavi92
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by Xavi92 » December 14th, 2020, 9:41 am

¡Muy interesante! :D

Definitely worth a read for any Spanish reader!

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am

Thanks for the zip file!
I ripped a few from archive and started embedding images it to HTML, which is kinda lame :/

http://netyaroze-europe.com/SuperJuegos/
I want to do it in text, and expand it somehow.. who knows.

TMK, That's the only printed magazine/book that actually coded Net Yaroze, that was publicly available (not Sony or university published).

I've seen some mags with code snippets or psuedo code, but nothing that detailed, in English, let alone in Spanish!!!
I'm surprised more Spaniards didn't signed up to Net Yaroze!
koi-fish wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:44 am bollycao
:lol: Hmmmm yum!

koi-fish wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:44 am You can figure out the reason: such a tutorial was not feasible in a 2 to 4 pages section in a monthly printed magazine, it required a dedicated magazine which never happened or the US-Only PlayStation Underground CD Magazine digital format.
I got until issue 81, January 1999. Times were changing, Dreamcast and Virtua Fighter 4 was a reality thus the new console generation... NetYaroze times content and another section dedicated to Amiga disappeared from the magazine and slowly also from the scene. At least in Spain.

Hmm... I wonder if there was something similar and with different ending in another publication of the same years.
Candidates: EDGE, OPM, PlayStation Underground, Dengeki PlayStation, Weekly Famitsu...
re: US-Only PlayStation Underground CD Magazine digital format
I've only seen videos on them, I don't think they distributed PDF's etc, i'll have to check out the iso dumps.
But yeah, you're right, it would have been a better format, but it was limited to PS subscribers only tho.

re: OPM, actually still published net yaroze games up to 2006, in the UK at least, not sure about other territories.
I know Australia got them, that's how I found out about net yaroze in the late 90's. And TMK, the US never printed any yaroze games on their OPM cover CD's... that's really lame if true, and probably why most US region PS1 gamers don't really know much about net yaroze.

koi-fish
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: casual dev & modder
Motto: Motto:rola68K
PlayStation Model: PSXpi

Post by koi-fish » December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Xavi92 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:41 am ¡Muy interesante! :D

Definitely worth a read for any Spanish reader!
Buena revista también ;) (note for non-spanish users: inhouse joke, sorry)
I'm glad for you finding it useful, regards!
gwald wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am Thanks for the zip file!
I ripped a few from archive and started embedding images it to HTML, which is kinda lame :/

http://netyaroze-europe.com/SuperJuegos/
I want to do it in text, and expand it somehow.. who knows.
Sir, I appreciate your Yaroze preservation effort a lot and can't call it lame by even a moment. If you'll like I can help with the tutorial translation draft (prior to corrections) leaving the C tutorial out of it. If any other spanish forum user is reading maybe would help with the workload to leaving it in, lets say, 2-4 pages each max.
About expanding the tutorial, surely would be awesome but I completely understand the amount of hours it would take and it could grow into a massive thing.
But honestly, I think that it's mandatory to anyone willing to start yaroze to jump into the info search. Finding examples and compiling without any or very little help in order to success. I mean, for a warmer getting-started there's already Unity/UE/Godot,etc instead. It's not discouragement but talking the things out clear.
gwald wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am TMK, That's the only printed magazine/book that actually coded Net Yaroze, that was publicly available (not Sony or university published).
I've seen some mags with code snippets or psuedo code, but nothing that detailed, in English, let alone in Spanish!!!
I'm surprised more Spaniards didn't signed up to Net Yaroze!
I know of another one magazine that went into some Net Yaroze development, but in japanese. It was called GameLab (GameLabo) and I came across a website (can't find it again yet :S) which had links to code some time, but went down.
But looking for it I found this archived site instead. It seems auto-translated, and you can read in the last part " a NET YATOZE and a sample program are introduced by the number for C Magazine (soft bank) October, 96, and there was series of the programming during several months from the November number." Probably Japan magazines, which published at a weekly rythm it's the NetYaroze pinhata but definetly, diving into into it may be lethal for mental health. Too much looking into the abyss.
gwald wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am :lol: Hmmmm yum!
Do you know Bollycao? I thought it was a local thing! Well, good for you [grin]
gwald wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am I've only seen videos on them, I don't think they distributed PDF's etc, i'll have to check out the iso dumps.
But yeah, you're right, it would have been a better format, but it was limited to PS subscribers only tho.
I checked the isos long ago. It had interesting stuff (lots of dev interviews, inside the studio videos and nostalgia)
but can't remember anything groundbreaking. There was some kind of game project coded by them but I remember being it a showcase, a "hey, look what we've done" and not a step by step tutorial. But take my words with a grain of salt, it was a long ago and those dumps really deserve a look. Moreover, I think that the CDs weren't everything in PSU because subscribers would recieve additional material with you guessed THE INTERNET, THE WWW! THE FUTURE (90s mode off) EDIT: Oh, also definetly no pdf but there was text displayed in Q&A sections, tech-news, etc. I don't recall if it was stored as plain text in the CD like the Yaroze descriptions are.
gwald wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:07 am OPM, actually still published net yaroze games up to 2006, in the UK at least, not sure about other territories.
I know Australia got them, that's how I found out about net yaroze in the late 90's. And TMK, the US never printed any yaroze games on their OPM cover CD's... that's really lame if true, and probably why most US region PS1 gamers don't really know much about net yaroze.
My memories are blurry and in 2006 I was into PS2, but probably here was the same. Net Yaroze became very popular here and demos surely gave me and my old friends lots of hours entertained. For every of us the same thing: obscure object of desire but forbidden for 10yr old kids depending on their parents. Mine did a big effort in order to buy the PSX with two pads, memory card and not one or two but three(!) games. Asking for the Net Yaroze was a very laughable idea. Of course, Yaroze demos felt totally like "yay, cool demos and full game!" every month for about 1000ptas/6€.
It surely was a piece of hardware history, and a golden one that's for sure. I'm also sure that Net Yaroze helped to balance the console wars in Sony's side.
BTW, I don't get clear if you're from UK or the Land of Down Under...

EDIT: Here in Spain, game mags repeated a lot of times the never properly debunked NetYaroze myth "Your games must be 2MB max. because you can't access the CD". I believed this until recently when reading the kit documentation, codewarrior, archived samples, etc and I'm surprised to find that there's seem to be CDROM support. At first I found in a FAQ about the possibility of reading .DA files but it can also apply to sprites,textures or any other asset.
Im asuming all the confusion probably came from a declaration of a SCEJ employee in a interview I read somewhere or bad/poorly translated information from Sony Japan, anyway he stated like "(With NetYaroze) You have the same limits and restrictions that pros have: the 2MB VRAM. All your assets (he meant per scene) must fit in that. And you can't stream STR video." It was widely misunderstood and even today you read that a lot and then the thing developes on which kind of game you may create with a 3MB limit, Ridge Racer and such. But let's say it for once: Games made with Net Yaroze may surpass the 3MB limit.
Hyenas are taking over the world!

gwald
Verified
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
Net Yaroze Enthusiast
I am a: programmer/DBA
PlayStation Model: Net Yaroze

Post by gwald » December 18th, 2020, 1:30 am

Hi :)
I hope you don't mind, I uploaded your images from the zip file to archive with your credit and link to this forum post?
I also PDF'ed it.. it's a nice doc now :)
Also archive.org converts image text to real text, hopefully it will turn out ok.. anyway it's here:
https://archive.org/details/tutorial-ne ... per-juegos
koi-fish wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm Sir, I appreciate your Yaroze preservation effort a lot and can't call it lame by even a moment. If you'll like I can help with the tutorial translation draft (prior to corrections) leaving the C tutorial out of it. If any other spanish forum user is reading maybe would help with the workload to leaving it in, lets say, 2-4 pages each max.
About expanding the tutorial, surely would be awesome but I completely understand the amount of hours it would take and it could grow into a massive thing.
But honestly, I think that it's mandatory to anyone willing to start yaroze to jump into the info search. Finding examples and compiling without any or very little help in order to success. I mean, for a warmer getting-started there's already Unity/UE/Godot,etc instead. It's not discouragement but talking the things out clear.
I'm no sir... :lol:
The Spanish section is very thin, I originally created it because of those tutorial!
If you want to contribute to the site, that's cool :) write an article/tutorial in Spanish/english I'm happy to put it up etc :ugeek:

Also, I was an ex member, so legally I can't host binaries or source code etc etc.... but linking is fine.
TBH, I'd like for the NY-europe to be what it was 20+ years ago but fully open and preserved, and just have that info/history there.. newsgroups.. and searchable... lol... it's great info! but yeah... I don't want to be sued! :lol:

koi-fish wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm I know of another one magazine that went into some Net Yaroze development, but in japanese. It was called GameLab (GameLabo) and I came across a website (can't find it again yet :S) which had links to code some time, but went down.
But looking for it I found this archived site instead. It seems auto-translated, and you can read in the last part " a NET YATOZE and a sample program are introduced by the number for C Magazine (soft bank) October, 96, and there was series of the programming during several months from the November number." Probably Japan magazines, which published at a weekly rythm it's the NetYaroze pinhata but definetly, diving into into it may be lethal for mental health. Too much looking into the abyss.
That's great info thanks I didn't know that!, I'll have to look it up!
koi-fish wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm Do you know Bollycao? I thought it was a local thing! Well, good for you [grin]
I was born and spent part of my childhood in Spain (or should I say Catalunya? :lol: ), but I'm Australian 99% now :)
koi-fish wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm I checked the isos long ago. It had interesting stuff (lots of dev interviews, inside the studio videos and nostalgia)
but can't remember anything groundbreaking. There was some kind of game project coded by them but I remember being it a showcase, a "hey, look what we've done" and not a step by step tutorial. But take my words with a grain of salt, it was a long ago and those dumps really deserve a look. Moreover, I think that the CDs weren't everything in PSU because subscribers would recieve additional material with you guessed THE INTERNET, THE WWW! THE FUTURE (90s mode off) EDIT: Oh, also definetly no pdf but there was text displayed in Q&A sections, tech-news, etc. I don't recall if it was stored as plain text in the CD like the Yaroze descriptions are.

Cool.. ha I think I remember seeing the text info youtube videos... but yes i'll have a look at the dump for sure too!

well I turned 20 and was studying programming, yeah the Yaroze demo's and articles where exciting to me to see what could be done by novice and reminded me of the C64... So I saved up... the pound at the time was nearly 3x the AUD lol
The US stopped selling them mid 1998 IIRC, but I still requested the form pack from SCEE in late 1998 IIRC and it came early 1998... I remember reading the fine print... (you don't own the hardware etc etc lol).. and think wow.. it's legit! I thought I'll return it if they payed for shipping.. sure why not!
So I ordered (and paid via int. bank cheque), in March 1999 I picked it up at the int airport TNT office paying an extra 200AUD for tax lol... I think, all up, it cost 900AUD... I remembering before setting it up feeling buyers remorse... like I spent way to much on just a playstation ($199) lol
I didn't do much with it for the first year, just read the manuals, read the newsgroup and members site.. the guys were nice,
I got La Mothe's Black art to 3D game programming (still a great book BTW) as a bday present and read that... and in Dec 2000, I locked myself away for for 2months coding with it... TV capture card and a crappy B/W TV lol Learnt a lot... fun times...

It was cool, in hind sight, should have started small with something silly in 2D :lol:

koi-fish wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm Here in Spain, game mags repeated a lot of times the never properly debunked NetYaroze myth "Your games must be 2MB max. because you can't access the CD". I believed this until recently when reading the kit documentation, codewarrior, archived samples, etc and I'm surprised to find that there's seem to be CDROM support.
But let's say it for once: Games made with Net Yaroze may surpass the 3MB limit.
It was a complex product, the people reporting it, wouldn't have known the difference :lol:
I recall the fopen command didn't work but it was part of the NY SDK, but I *think* the Sony CD read function worked... I haven't looked at CDROM loading much TBH, there's not much on the CD... if they put more assets it would have been more useful.
I don't think swapping the NY CD with a CDR with your asset files, would have worked, but I haven't tried it either, I think the PS would think there's an audio or no CD failing the wobble check on lid closing.
Anyway, in a way, it's better limited to just what can be loaded into RAM (siocons auto), then moved out to VRAM/SRAM etc.

But yeah, there are a lot of myths, and not many people that were there talking.... unfortunately.
The other common myth is that it's heavily cut down, to the pro kit, I think the NY SDK was comparable to Sony's early SDK and the early games look like NY games, using that as a base (not the psyq stuff), it was very generous (IMO too much, they should have removed 3D support... but then it wouldn't have been 90's cool! so :roll: :? :shrug )

The worse one is the price.... yeah you were a kid, lots of kids played PS, but a lot also where young adults learning to code etc...
The kit sounds expensive, but it wasn't just hardware... more importantly, it was a very very easy and cheap way into Sony... I mean in the late 1990's to play with a $20k dev kit from Sony, you had to have a publisher, you had to pitch them a game and business plan, reg business and bank acc, staff, etc!

Sure, a modded PS, action replay with comms card and psyq warez, would have been the same right?
IMO No, and it's the same today with current consoles. There's no comparing 1st party support and it's community, having a lot of full time experts in one place. Also spending big money, makes people more committed ;)

IIRC, I paid 3k per uni subject (cheap I know!)..... Even paying the full NY price, it was just a no brainer, back in the late 1990's! most that bought it, and did something with it, saw it like a C64, it made programming and learning fun and cool.. or to try and publish and existing game (what we call indie today eg Total Soccer- TMK it got published on GameBoy) but with also tech support when you get stuck etc... The Net part was the more important then the programmable Yaroze hardware part, I think anyway.

I can't speak to JP/US members, but EU/PAL members had excellent support from Sony UK... the UK members being really really spoiled with their uni's courses, events and comps and being in PAL regions at least we got to see it :)
Most US (maybe even JP) gamers don't know much about NY.

The funny thing is, I didn't tell many people.. it's too geeky and nerdy, and I still don't except where related... I think it's a bit sad, but I understand why people don't talk about it... it's like talking about your first computer and trying to program it... and the best you could do on it was a mess eg compared to something AAA :lol:

Anyway... I think I've blogged about this stuff before... sorry for the rant.

Oh, I remembered where I heard about the US OPM demo CD not having any US NY games (I'll have to check PSU)

Code: Select all

Yep I’m in the US, but as I recall the US PSM didn’t have Yaroze demos on the disc. 
The UK OPSM took games from all over thankfully.
scott2.png
Saludos des de Australia :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.