SCPH-100 series Service Manual request (replies with results

Confidential documents, images and information by Sony and miscellaneous hackers for the PlayStation 1
CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Student

SCPH-100 series Service Manual request (replies with results

Post by CodeAsm » August 3rd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Hello hi guys,

ive been busy with alott of other things and then last week finaly decided to do some minor mods on one of my PSones.
All fine with information all over the place, ready to be absorbed by my human brain.

BUT, where is the full Service Manual for the PSone? anyone got a copy for me? WAIT WAIT, before you tell me to look at: http://www.psxdev.net/downloads.html (wich is great btw)... Thats NOT a SCPH-101 service manual.... its *parts* of the SCPH-100 series service manual ;)

I found (and if you google you might find them too) 2 sites selling the manual with the cover image:

And looking at the bookmarks in the manual you guys also awesomely provided, it seems yours is edited...
question, who has and wants to share with me, the full manual.. or do I use the wrong viewer (Adobe Acrobat reader and I tried Foxit Reader)

Apparently Defor (who I might consider contacting) had traced the serial connections on the board: https://psx0.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/p ... nk-serial/
Was very helpfull... But I would love to see those pages myself :D

Here is the manual from the download page, showing the bookmarks, clearly it had a cover and more pages before (the bookmarks ofcourse dont work anymore)
Anyway, thanks for reading this post, hope it helps me and maybe someone else.
Last edited by CodeAsm on August 5th, 2017, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » August 3rd, 2017, 9:57 pm

I have that manual, but it's 6MB, which is too large to upload as an attachment. I will see if I can get it added to the downloads page.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » August 4th, 2017, 3:07 am

You don't happen to have a nicer PU-18 scan by chance? Maybe even a PU-7 / PU-8 *anything*?
That'd be great! :)

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » August 4th, 2017, 5:11 am

TriMesh wrote:I have that manual, but it's 6MB, which is too large to upload as an attachment. I will see if I can get it added to the downloads page.
That would be so great :D Thank you in adavance so much.
Development Console: SCPH-102, unkown clone Modchip, PAL , FTDI board build into the case (microUSB) for Serial I/O.
Development Computer: GNU/Linux, Arch x86_64 Linux 4.20.3, i7-3632QM [8x3.2GHz], 11,8GiB, 1366x768 GeForce GT 630M (Optimus tech), lots of gig of storage

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 4th, 2017, 11:14 am

rama3 wrote:You don't happen to have a nicer PU-18 scan by chance? Maybe even a PU-7 / PU-8 *anything*?
Would be great, I hope that scans show up someday!

For PU-18 (aka SCPH-5500/5501/5502/5503), I've spent some days on 'remastering' the existing scan (the one with the messy top-down images, that can be found here http://psxdev.ru/download for example). I've flipped the top-down pages, added some fine rotation to get perfectly upright pages, merged the schematic fragments (to get each 'sheet' stored in a single file), and redrawn some missing horizontal lines (in the two sheets with 'analog' CD and AV stuff).
But, I don't know if or how I could upload it to psxdev...? It's around 10Mbytes (in 21 .png files, using the resolution from the original scans), which seems to be too large for attachments (tried so, and it seems to have been simply ignored without error message), or 3.3MB at half resolution, which might be more suitable for screen viewing (tried to upload that too, and got a 2MB limit error message).
Best would be to have it on the downloads http://www.psxdev.net/downloads.html page.
TriMesh wrote:I have that manual, but it's 6MB, which is too large to upload as an attachment. I will see if I can get it added to the downloads page.
That is another version than the 5.2MB file on the download page? The 5.2MB file is more or less okay in terms of containing the complete schematics, but it lacks the component lists and some other stuff. Would be nice if there's a more complete version.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » August 4th, 2017, 3:10 pm

rama3 wrote:You don't happen to have a nicer PU-18 scan by chance? Maybe even a PU-7 / PU-8 *anything*?
Sadly, no - back then the only people working on these consoles were the official company owned Sony service centers, and they kept a very tight hold on the documentation. It was only about the time the SCPH-900x came out that that it became more accessible.
nocash wrote: That is another version than the 5.2MB file on the download page? The 5.2MB file is more or less okay in terms of containing the complete schematics, but it lacks the component lists and some other stuff. Would be nice if there's a more complete version.
This is the complete manual with the service instructions, PCB layout drawings and parts list.

Edit 2:

This is now available on the downloads page, and there is no need to use this split download.

Edit:

OK, just for the impatient, here is the manual - I've split it up into a multipart .zip file to get around the upload size limitation. Due to the board software limitations, you will have to fiddle with it a bit.

Start by removing the .zip from the end (I.E. SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.001.zip becomes SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.001) then uncompress using 7-Zip.
SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.001.zip
SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.002.zip
SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.003.zip
SCPH-100 5th-Edition.zip.004.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » August 4th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Thanks, and yeah, I had little hope for PU-7/8 :p

nocash: You cleaned up the PU-18 scan? That'd be a great help already!
The scan is barely legible and the rotation makes it that much worse to use.
Maybe you could zip it all up and put on something like sendspace.com?

CodeAsm
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by CodeAsm » August 4th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Thanks Rama5

Code: Select all

$ cat SCPH-100\ 5th-Edition.zip.00* > SCPH-100\ 5th-Edition.zip
works nice under linux
Looks like the bookmarks got removed from the editor/website you used to remove the password, or something else happend. will look into that someday. But first :D looking at all the details.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » August 5th, 2017, 2:47 pm

Good idea to use multiple zip's to get around the 2MB attachment limit. Here's the edited PU-18 service manual (this are three separate zip, you'll need to unzip each file separately).
Sony Playstation SCPH-5500,5501,5502,5503 Service Manual (PU-18) - low resolution (part 1).zip
Sony Playstation SCPH-5500,5501,5502,5503 Service Manual (PU-18) - low resolution (part 2).zip
Sony Playstation SCPH-5500,5501,5502,5503 Service Manual (PU-18) - high resolution (schematics only).zip
The first two zip's contain the whole manual at half resolution, in 21 .png files. That resolution is good enough to decipher most of the text - except some small fonts used in the six mainboard schematics pages (eg. for resistor numbers), so the third files contains an alternate version of those six pages at full resolution.

I hope the the schematics are bit more legible now, and everybody feels okay with the .png format. The files with the schematics are naturally quite huge - and I've used equally files for the other chapters (eg. the Parts List's, the advantage is that one won't get lost between pages from different Parts List's). With some good image viewer (eg. IrfanView), the .png's should be more comfortable to deal with as than using .pdf's with the acrobate reader gui.

Still, best would be make new scans with better quality someday (if anybody has the original manual on paper?). Some of the signal names & components aren't legible (even at full resolution). The PCB images are also having pretty bad contrast. And there are a few pages missing: Mainboard Part 5 has some gap between page 39 and 40. And page 41-42 are missing (looks as if they were containing the bottom half of the Mainboard Part 5 sheet, which may have been empty anyways). Page 49-52 are missing (the schematic for one power supply version, and the PCB for another power supply variant). And page 101 is missing too (might have just some blank page at the end of the manual).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » August 5th, 2017, 4:37 pm

I'd like to see the SCPH-1000 service manual. I asked Michael Fulton for it, but he said he didn't have it. Not sure who would. Probably the old Japanese engineers who actually designed the circuit board.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » August 5th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Thanks a lot, nocash!

Arnold101
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Arnold101 » July 18th, 2018, 4:27 pm

TriMesh wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 9:57 pm I have that manual, but it's 6MB, which is too large to upload as an attachment. I will see if I can get it added to the downloads page.
hello TriMesh can i ask if you have the pdf for the regular manual for scph 1000 and 3000 jap? Thanks a lot!