Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Has anyone bought from Mod-Chip.net?

Post by aloram » December 27th, 2015, 6:30 am

They're located in the U.S., and I ordered a PS1 modchip from them a couple weeks ago. When placing the order, it said they were switching credit card services and that I had to pay by money order. I sent in my payment a couple weeks ago, but my modchip still hasn't arrived. However, what concerns me is that all four email addresses on their website are no longer functional. Have any of you ordered from this place?

Thanks for your help.

aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by aloram » December 30th, 2015, 4:54 am

UPDATE: After a bunch of research, I found out that they're well-known scammers:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Modchip_Outlet

elmagicochrisg
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by elmagicochrisg » December 30th, 2015, 5:37 am

Not saying they are not scammers, but the link you posted was for Modchip_Outlet, not mod-chip.net.

This link came up with an email address. You can try and see if that one is working.

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-websit ... ox-comment

I would only use PayPal if I were you though, just to be sure.

Or contact your CC company and check beforehand if they are fishy and / or if they can get you your money back if something goes wrong...

aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by aloram » December 30th, 2015, 5:42 am

elmagicochrisg wrote:Not saying they are not scammers, but the link you posted was for Modchip_Outlet, not mod-chip.net.

This link came up with an email address. You can try and see if that one is working.

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-websit ... ox-comment

I would only use PayPal if I were you though, just to be sure.

Or contact your CC company and check beforehand if they are fishy and / or if they can get you your money back if something goes wrong...
Hi. Yeah, it's the same place. They changed their name at some point. Same mailing address.
Last edited by aloram on December 30th, 2015, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

elmagicochrisg
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by elmagicochrisg » December 30th, 2015, 6:27 am

Damn, so this guy has been scamming people unpunished for over 8 years now... :shock:

That's fucked up...

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » December 30th, 2015, 3:08 pm

That's pretty bad. Contact your bank and they will issue a chargeback and reimburse your funds.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by aloram » December 30th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Shadow wrote:That's pretty bad. Contact your bank and they will issue a chargeback and reimburse your funds.
I paid with a money order from the post office. I went there today to try to stop payment on it, but no one knew how to do it and asked me to come back tomorrow when an employee who knows more about the topic will be working. Haha. Fortunately it wasn't a lot of money. I shared my experience on the Everdrive Forum as well, so if I had to lose a little bit of money so others wouldn't lose a lot, hey, it's worth it. I also filed a mail fraud report and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

aloram
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by aloram » January 1st, 2016, 1:21 pm

Here's a similar experience someone had last year:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229842 ... ip-outlet/