Is the Psy-Q development kit abandonware?

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Is the Psy-Q development kit abandonware?

Post by LameGuy64 » March 20th, 2014, 12:29 pm

I wanna know exactly if this is true as I'm planning to release a lightweight, repackaged version of the PsyQ development kit specifically for beginners and the like.

It is pretty much the same as the full development kit but without the unnecessary guff (such as command-line tools for the DTL-H2000) making it 70% smaller in uncompressed form and comes prepackaged with useful tools such as WinBin2Src, DiscPatcher, Orion's version of catflap, the 32-bit version of stripiso, and no$psx (with credit to nocash obviously).
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 20th, 2014, 2:11 pm

I believe it is, but it can't be true abandonware because SN Systems still exists.

It is better to not repack the Psy-Q SDK. It's better to leave some things alone.
I say this because much like when I got into PSX development, I downloaded the Psy-Q SDK from the Internet and it was already altered. I just wanted the exact 1:1 copy that Sony released. However, because there were so many alterations floating around, I settled with having Avanaboy help me clean it. Now though, I finally have the original Psy-Q 1:1 copies available for download and they work fine. If you really do go ahead and repack it, make sure that you clearly place a text file stating that this Psy-Q SDK has been altered, and what exactly has been altered.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » March 20th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Hmm, I think it's safe to say that anyone can use the SDK as long as it is used for non-commercial purposes.

The reason why I wanted to do this repack is because I think that the overabundance of folders and duplicates in the full SDK will seriously confuse beginners, so I thought it would be nice to make a repacked version of the SDK that is smaller, less confusing, and includes easy to understand samples so that beginners and new comers can get into PlayStation homebrew development easily without much hassle... To prevent confusion with the full SDK, I'll be calling it Psy-Q Lite.

Of course, I will clearly state that the SDK had been altered (in case Psy-Q Lite isn't obvious enough) and will provide a link to this site where the complete SDK can be found as well as a list of changes I've made.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

jman
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by jman » March 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm

LameGuy64 wrote: The reason why I wanted to do this repack is because I think that the overabundance of folders and duplicates in the full SDK will seriously confuse beginners, so I thought it would be nice to make a repacked version of the SDK that is smaller, less confusing, and includes easy to understand samples so that beginners and new comers can get into PlayStation homebrew development easily without much hassle... To prevent confusion with the full SDK, I'll be calling it Psy-Q Lite.
Just a thought: can you prepare a batch script to turn the stock SDK to your Lite version?
This way you're not touching the original one and you're on the safe side.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » March 21st, 2014, 12:24 am

jman wrote:
LameGuy64 wrote: The reason why I wanted to do this repack is because I think that the overabundance of folders and duplicates in the full SDK will seriously confuse beginners, so I thought it would be nice to make a repacked version of the SDK that is smaller, less confusing, and includes easy to understand samples so that beginners and new comers can get into PlayStation homebrew development easily without much hassle... To prevent confusion with the full SDK, I'll be calling it Psy-Q Lite.
Just a thought: can you prepare a batch script to turn the stock SDK to your Lite version?
This way you're not touching the original one and you're on the safe side.
That is a very clever idea.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » March 21st, 2014, 12:33 am

My idea is to make a version of the Psy-Q SDK that is cleaner and has pretty much everything necessary (additional tools and an emulator) included in a single small package which is ideal for beginners who want to quickly get into PlayStation homebrew development... I don't think this can be done through a batch script but I'll see what I can do about it.

The only difference in my version is that duplicates, old libraries, and tools for using the DTL-H2000 have been removed (because not everyone owns such a device) making it 70% smaller than the full SDK (my lite SDK right now is roughly 70MB uncompressed while the full SDK is roughly 500MB uncompressed).

Also, the complete SDK is readily available in the Downloads section anyway which anyone can download if they want to. My version is in no way meant to replace the full SDK but is instead a smaller alternative tailored for beginners who don't own or use the official development hardware.

SCPH-1002
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by SCPH-1002 » March 21st, 2014, 8:55 am

There's allready a lite version of sonys software developement kit, it's called net yaroze.

Shadow wrote: I just wanted the exact 1:1 copy that Sony released. Now though, I finally have the original Psy-Q 1:1 copies available for download and they work fine.
You talk about the download at the psxdev main, right?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast

Post by LameGuy64 » March 21st, 2014, 10:51 am

SCPH-1002 wrote:There's allready a lite version of sonys software developement kit, it's called net yaroze.
There are many essential tools and libraries that are missing in that kit. Also, getting programs compiled with it to work is a pain as libps.exe is required before loading the main program from what I've read.
SCPH-1002 wrote:You talk about the download at the psxdev main, right?
Yes, where else can I find the complete version of the SDK?

Tommy
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by Tommy » April 22nd, 2014, 9:54 am

Abandonware is a term with no legal basis — if want to know whether you're likely to get sued then you need to make that judgment on its own merits. Legally speaking, you could be. But how much would that cost and what would the claimant expect to gain? As a general rule, people sue in order to achieve something, not simply because they can.