CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Amiga 500 internal keyboard to USB keyboard

Post by CosmoGuy » December 26th, 2013, 1:12 am

Hi

As in topic, i didn't specially know how exactly name that topic but anyway....

I have got Amiga 500 which is PROBABLY broken [it's without hard disk, floppy and power source].

I'm wondering, it is possible witout any microcontroller do some kind of converter from internal keyboard from Amiga 500 to USB, for connecting it to normal PC.

I found some pinouts on the net, the amiga's site:

It's from some Amiga forum, but they are talking in "their" language which i'm not into :P [simplier: I'm new with this]
The keyboard transmits data serially. The keyboard header pinout is:
1 DATA
2 CLOCK
3 RESET
4 +5V
5 key, removed pin
6 GROUND
7 STATUS (led +5V power)
8 INUSE -"-

And USB:
1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground
If some microcontroller/simple CPU is specially needed, i have two STM32 and one 8-bit ATMega but i don't even know how to use them in that way, they are probably too big for being just a converter between hardware(s) i guess... ?

I think the problem could be that i don't know where to plug "data -" pin from USB to amiga's keyboard (INUSE - ???), also the timing of "main keyboard cpu" from amiga [it's working should be compatibile in some way to work with usb]

keyboard's IC from Amiga: ["main keyboard cpu" as i named it]
jpg.jpgImage
The timer proc. from amiga's keyboard PCB is Matsushita AN1555 but it doesn't say anything. How can i align timing between amiga's timer and PC's usb timing, and ALSO reset section?

Or maybe i'm complicating to much.

I'd be VERY VERY glad for useful replies [please don't reply "search google", i hate it, i was searching about 1,5 hour and everything is very advanced], also i'm starting to learn electronics stuff so please try to be nice to me :) Just this :).

Thanks, regards, and of course... merry christmas!!! :)

jman
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by jman » December 26th, 2013, 2:27 am

CosmoGuy wrote: I have got Amiga 500 which is PROBABLY broken [it's without hard disk, floppy and power source].
Well, that's pretty much MY definition of broken :-D
Although keep in mind that hard disks were optional and expensive at the time, so you're basically missing the two latter items.
I'm wondering, it is possible without any microcontroller do some kind of converter from internal keyboard from Amiga 500 to USB, for connecting it to normal PC.
If you're really a total newbie and don't understand the resources available (e.g. this), you can always try asking on EAB forum: there's a lot of nice chaps there, highly skilled technically.
I think it can be done since the opposite of what you say (PC keyb -> Amiga) is available since longtime.

By the way, if you would like to make that Amiga work again in all of its glory you can point your browser to AmiBay and look for spare parts.

Disclosure note: I am an Amiga nut :-)

Good luck!

CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by CosmoGuy » December 26th, 2013, 4:14 am

I think i found the solution:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm

But i don't want to buy anzthing. I just want to do something like that myself, as a project...
But how :s
Is there some open-sourced scheme for this?

jman
Rookie Programmer
Rookie Programmer

Post by jman » December 26th, 2013, 10:06 am

CosmoGuy wrote:I think i found the solution:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm

But i don't want to buy anzthing. I just want to do something like that myself, as a project...
But how :s
Is there some open-sourced scheme for this?
You can either realize something using an Arduino, example:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10990

But the schematics of the Keyrah are likely property of Jens Shoenfeld and not disclosed.