Possible way to cut down on the spambots?

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
SpiegelGeist
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Possible way to cut down on the spambots?

Post by SpiegelGeist » February 19th, 2022, 9:00 pm

Another forum I frequent uses a one time fee of 10 bucks to keep out spambots and just general troublemakers, so would a one time 5 or 10 dollar fee for forum membership possibly work?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 20th, 2022, 10:42 am

Yeah, that could possibly work but it's frustrating when you need to pay to join a forum to get or find information. The fundamental basis of the Internet was it was designed for freedom of speech and public documentation.

I'm sure there is an alternative way to handle spambots. I just need perhaps some advice or help from a web consultant. At the moment I use CloudFlare to route the DNS (which gives me the CloudFlare proxy). The forums use IP tokening to see where users connect from, but there's an issue - the IP addresses which are logged are always CloudFlare IP's so anti-spam services cannot prevent the spam correctly. At the moment I am using 'StopForumSpam'.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

SpiegelGeist
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5501

Post by SpiegelGeist » February 28th, 2022, 11:17 am

Shadow wrote: February 20th, 2022, 10:42 am Yeah, that could possibly work but it's frustrating when you need to pay to join a forum to get or find information. The fundamental basis of the Internet was it was designed for freedom of speech and public documentation.

I'm sure there is an alternative way to handle spambots. I just need perhaps some advice or help from a web consultant. At the moment I use CloudFlare to route the DNS (which gives me the CloudFlare proxy). The forums use IP tokening to see where users connect from, but there's an issue - the IP addresses which are logged are always CloudFlare IP's so anti-spam services cannot prevent the spam correctly. At the moment I am using 'StopForumSpam'.
Hopefully there is another way, but if not, asking for a small one time fee really does work wonders. Also keeps out trolls, cause most people aren't willing to risk some cash to shitpost.