Looking for a way to record FF8's sound effects

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
wanderer
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Looking for a way to record FF8's sound effects

Post by wanderer » April 2nd, 2018, 12:30 am

Hello everybody, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a way to record all of FF8's sound effects. I plan on doing this using an scph 1000 console instead of an emulator (for sound accuracy reasons). My only problem right now is to find a way to play all of FF8's sound effects so I can record them. In FF8's debug room you can play sound effects but not all of the game's sound effects. You can play maybe 250 sound effects at most in the debug room but not the 1500+ sound effects the game has. So I was wondering if you guys had any idea with that matter ? The end goal for me is to be able to replace the sound effects of the steam version.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » April 2nd, 2018, 3:09 am

Do you know of these later Expansion ROM cards with tons of extras?
At least one of them (Explorer Pro) has an SPU RAM dump player.
You just reset the game and can play back everything that was in SPU RAM at that point.

wanderer
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by wanderer » April 2nd, 2018, 7:36 am

thanks for your answer rama3.
I'm afraid what you're talking about isn't the right method for me. I do have an Xplorer cartridge. I've tried capturing some sounds but no sound effects show up in the captured sound window. Like someone mentioned in the qhimm forum final fantasy 8 creates sounds effects on the fly at runtime so I think there's no point in trying to capture sound effects there. Apparently there's no sound effect file in the game. even if it would be possible that way I'm certainly not gonna play an 80 hour long game like final fantasy 8 to have all sound effects played and record them one by one. What I need instead is a way to force the game to play all sound effects.

Yagotzirck
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by Yagotzirck » April 5th, 2018, 11:34 am

Like someone mentioned in the qhimm forum final fantasy 8 creates sounds effects on the fly at runtime so I think there's no point in trying to capture sound effects there.
Can you elaborate on this/do you have anything to backup these claims? It seems highly unlikely to me, since synthesizing sounds at runtime requires a certain amount of horsepower that the psx just lacks.

You might want to scan the game's disc image with PSound, see if you find what you're looking for ;)