PS2?

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PS2?

Post by LISgame » November 19th, 2017, 5:32 am

Hi,

I am curious, what came of the PS2 development community? I am or was certainly oblvious to it, I only stumbled on this just the other day.

But yes, is there any of that still around, and is it as simple to setup as this is? As for getting a project going, working and complete that a lot more work.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2017, 12:18 pm

There are plenty of other websites for the PS2 community. This site is intended for PS1 only since finding a PS1 site that was active and actually running was impossible.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 19th, 2017, 2:32 pm

There aren't. Its gone, those who may of left for the new systems.

I just curious if it is as similar as this setup, download an emulator, and so on. Just more complicated. Then again I guess both have their ups and downs. According to one old message board post, running a file on a PS2 can't be done by sending files to a recordable disc.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2017, 4:25 pm

That's odd. I remember seeing heaps of sites for the PS2 development. Maybe they finally shutdown or like you said, moved onto other systems. I can't honestly speculate on the PS2 development side since I've never touched it, but I'd assume you can execute binaries via Ethernet or serial.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 20th, 2017, 2:35 pm

I visited PS2 home, only to have to answer a bunch of questions, which is no help, all that does is contain and moderate a newbie's questions. Its absolute rubbish.

I don't think I'll stay there with that kind of structure they have. There isn't one video on youtube about development for the PS2. All I did was ask one question, what I have inquired on here for the PS, but obviously the PS2 being younger, would have more support. They couldn't even respond to that.

Nonsense!

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » November 21st, 2017, 5:51 am

PS2 information is abundant, but scattered around.
I don't know of any one convenient place.
Start by looking for ps2sdk :)

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 21st, 2017, 6:05 am

What you have stated is true, but the reality is, there are no tutorial on youtube. Had it not been for the Dutch guy, I wouldn't known of this site.

I don't think it is possible to use a standard PS2 that was bought. That is the whole point in the end. I have the slimline version. I did have the original twenty hundred model, but that had disc reading errors, so I recycled it, that was over five years ago now. I only got the slim in Feb 2015, just to play a few old games, like Elite force, The Getaway, Socom. And lastly, SSX snowboarding game, the first one released when that console was launched.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » November 22nd, 2017, 9:00 am

You can use retail models to do PS2 development. Just install FMCB and you are there.
Edit: Unless you have a 90000 series, then you need a modchip. Or buy a cheap older unit
with a broken laser, you don't need a working drive to dev on it.

Testing your code is actually easier than on the PS1. You can store compiled elf on a usb,
memory card, cd(rw) and you can also send binaries via ftp, no sneakernet.

Tyranid made awesome psplinkusb for PSP development and afaik there is a similar tool for PS2.
Edit: It's called ps2link. :D

Your first starting point should be getting a working ps2sdk toolchain.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 22nd, 2017, 9:28 am

I have a slim model that can run mcboot. I know sort of about the installation of that onto a memory card using a USB storage disk. So that isn't the problem.

How to develop for the PS2 using a library is the issue. I read on PS2home about install the PS2 dev, but I don't get it, it can run on windows 7, but it appears there are several other programs to install or something.

As for a 3D program, that would run off the USB disk, and the Memory card is essentially an alternative OS, as the PS2 ROM os only displays browser and system settings.

As for a 3D model to be exported from blender into a PS2 graphics file, how that does that workout?

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » November 22nd, 2017, 10:04 am

You need a posix environment to run ps2sdk. You can use cygwin, MinGW or some linux distro if you are comfortable with it.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 22nd, 2017, 10:09 am

Hmm, I do have a copy of lite on a GX270 pentium 4 system, it is a dual boot, so it runs XP.

As for windows, cygwin, I know of that, it helps to install linux software on windows. The whole process of installing for the PS2 development isn't as straightforward as what I did on the XP system last weekend for the PS.

While there is a few demo examples of games on the PS2, it is all rough, and there aren't any tutorials on this. As for the playstation while more basic than the PS2, there isn't much here on 3D.

There installation is easiest for the PS, yet complex for the PS2, and then PS2 has some example demo 3D programs to get started, but there isn't anything for the Playstation yet.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » November 22nd, 2017, 10:22 am

You have to understand that these are custom systems with a custom architecture
using a proprietary api for programming.

Most of the info that we know about these consoles has been learned through reverse engineering, sony doesn't flail
documentation around. When you are a licensed developer you have to sign NDA.

These are not homebrew friendly systems by design, Gwald wasn't joking in the other thread, you are entering in a world of hurt. Prepare to dig through scarce documentation, some would argue that's the fun part :D

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 22nd, 2017, 12:06 pm

Frustration is probably the word you would use about this sort of subject.

I am aware that Sony hasn't ever released a licensed retail package for this sort of stuff, yes the words homebrew give the indication it has been done by enthusiasts who have a good head for software.

I don't know, NDA?

Well, since the PS homebrew there is no examples, so I don't know how I could go about this. My knowledge is blender 3d, game engine, but no python. So in the end, I didn't know what is or wasn't available. I imagine, nobody has yet found out how to create a 3D program for the PS.

As for the PS2. The installation is off putting to be honest, as much as I want the graphics of the PS2 to achieve something similar to what I did with the blender game engine, I'd prefer for a Men in black look a like graphics.

Perhaps I can't achieve anything. Just where would I get any info for 3D generation for the PS?

I tried exporting a model in blender, but that hasn't worked. This is place is a very small, and isolated hobby site, the PS2 a little more active, but its all on the fringe.

Is PS3 any better?

It looks like lameguy64 did produce a 3d program a few years ago now. http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=611

But that doesn't solve my objective of getting a blend file exporting into RSD file.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » November 22nd, 2017, 10:37 pm

LISgame wrote:I imagine, nobody has yet found out how to create a 3D program for the PS.
Not true. There is plenty of 3d homebrew, even from back in the day: http://hitmen.c02.at/html/psx_releases.html

And even for the alternative libs like Rob Withey's.
Download libs and there will be a compiled 3d car demo with a source.

LameGuy64 actually has you sorted out, check out this thread.
(Is that the plugin you are mentioning in your other thread)?

More of LameGuy64s work.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 23rd, 2017, 4:42 am

Hello,

Yes I read of 64's stuff, yeah I tried the export it failed for the file. So If I use 2.69, may be that should export the file into RSD, I am using 2.76.

As for the code to create a file that can display the RSD, I downloaded the 3D example, there are four files, so libags, fp test, wall c, quadmap c. The description seems like the good example I need. Getting a file into that..

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 23rd, 2017, 10:09 am

Just for the record, a PSone can read a cd-r with a PS iso, without any change to that console?

I tried a kodak CD-r, the 3d iso was done at 16x, there were a few sector errors, but I ignored that, and then tried it twice in the PS, no luck with that.

Does a Ps one read cd-r discs as is?

LameGuy64
Verified
Psy-Q Enthusiast
Psy-Q Enthusiast
I am a: Hobbyist Game Developer
Motto: Commercial or not, play it!
PlayStation Model: H2000/7000

Post by LameGuy64 » November 23rd, 2017, 12:43 pm

If anyone's having trouble with my old RSD export script, I recently released a much newer one in Github: https://github.com/Lameguy64/Blender-RSD-Plugin

This version of the plug-in not only performs much better than the old one I released here a few years ago but its also a lot less buggy especially when exporting quad primitives. I thought of mentioning it here in case someone will experience issues with my old plug-in.
Please don't forget to include my name if you share my work around. Credit where it is due.

Dev. Console: SCPH-7000 with SCPH-7501 ROM, MM3, PAL color fix, Direct AV ports, DB-9 port for Serial I/O, and a Xplorer FX with Caetla 0.35.

DTL-H2000 PC: Dell Optiplex GX110, Windows 98SE & Windows XP, Pentium III 933MHz, 384MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB, Soundblaster Audigy, 40GB Seagate HDD, Hitachi Lite-on CD-RW Drive, ZIP 250 and 3.5" Floppy.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert

Post by Shendo » November 23rd, 2017, 10:31 pm

LISgame wrote:Just for the record, a PSone can read a cd-r with a PS iso, without any change to that console?
No. There is a copy protection mechanism in place to battle piracy. You need a modchip.
Check out PSNee.

LISgame
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by LISgame » November 23rd, 2017, 11:37 pm

That isn't an option for me then. I didn't listen carefully to 64's clip when I saw it.

I don't know if that is for the PS2, PS2 home doesn't have very good communicative users, I think too much ego about how they run a forum, and the odd questions they have, too obsessed with forum culture, of point scoring.

I think it possible to run mcboot on a memory card using, using a storage disk. As for game dev, like I had stated, installing seven or eight components for a dev kit which is custom made, is problematic. Hmm, my only option could be to find somebody who could try some basic 3d scene making, and send the file. But it may be unlikely, since porting games isn't straightforward from what I read.