SCPH-1000 Sound problem

Anything other than PlayStation content may be posted here
Mortensen
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

SCPH-1000 Sound problem

Post by Mortensen » October 9th, 2017, 5:44 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just want to say that it's a really good site with lots of good information :) I've been looking for old post, and seeing if I could find something useful for my problem, but I have not solved it yet

and I apologize for my English, but I try the best I've learned

I have this SCPH-1000 Japanese model that has some audio problem. I attach a link to youtube with video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nZonROgKk0

There are no sound problems in the actual startup and running intro video of the game. There are also no issues with music CD playback, but when the game starts up in the menu and the game itself is running, the sound goes bananas

I have tried 4 different pickups/lasers, all with the same outcome, and these lasers worked from the ps1 consoles they came from. I have tried using the RCA connectors instead of multi out and this also has no effect.

I can 100% say that this does not have something to the game itself (not bad disc) as the problem takes place no matter what game I play. I have tried 5 different games and everyone with random sounds that comes uninterrupted in menu and in game.

I suspect the SPU "cxd2922q" chip, but I do not know. I've have try to give it a little pressure while the game is running, but this has no effect. I can not see anything suspicious on the motherboard itself, no cold joints or the like.
Can bias and gain out of adjust, be the case here?
If it can be SPU cxd2922q, how easy it is and replace this, it should be said I do not have much soldering experience.

I'm sleepless at night to get to the bottom of this annoying problem :) so again, any help or suggestions are very welcome, as I really want my SCPH-1000 to run normally

Best Regards Mortensen
Last edited by Mortensen on October 26th, 2018, 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 9th, 2017, 10:20 am

Seems to be either the SPU or SPU RAM is bad. Since you already tried IC 308, my guess is probably the latter. Try pressing down on IC 310. If not, it could be something else such as a bad DRAM solder joint, but usually that will give you serious problems much earlier on.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Mortensen
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Mortensen » October 11th, 2017, 6:14 am

Hi Shadow

Thank you for your response. Today I have tried to looking a little into the IC 310 a give it a little pressure too. The next thing I notice when I give the IC 310 or actually also IC 308 pressure is that when an intro movie is played, it starts skipping and freezing. The game almost stops, but returns to normal when I stop the pressure. But it's only when movie intro is playing. When I'm in the menu and the problem is there, there is no change by giving the pressure. The uninterrupted sounds do not stop

I have a few ps1 consoles and a scph-5552 I can use for doner, as I'm more interested in getting my scph-1000 to work, however, the IC 308 is "cxd2925q" compared to that in my PU-7 motherboard called "cxd2922q". But I think I'll be having trouble removing the IC 310 or IC 308 and even soldering a new one with a satisfactory result. And I would be very sorry to do more harm than good. However, it can still play music CD with normal audio and play games, but games with awful sound. I think if the solution becomes a replacement of IC 308 or IC 310 then I will have to find a person with more soldering skills

If it were your, what would you do as your next attempt to take a step further to solve the problem? :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Just replace the board if you can with another from an SCPH-1000. It's easier.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.