PC Comms Link alternative?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
neSneSgB
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

PC Comms Link alternative?

Post by neSneSgB » July 26th, 2015, 6:03 am

I have 2 older gray GameSharks , and up until recently I had no idea that you must apparently use a "PC Comms Link" ICA card in order to connect it, versus using a regular Parallel port. However, I have no idea where to look for one of these cards. Is there any way to bypass having to use this card, and if not, does anyone have one for sale?

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » July 26th, 2015, 6:06 am

Look under projects/worknlogs there is a USB solution for this. Alternatively there is the freewing interface you can build to use a parallel port.

I have one of the original datel cards but I would advise against using one as they don't work on modern operating systems.

Dan

neSneSgB
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by neSneSgB » July 26th, 2015, 6:35 am

Nice, I think I'll go with that CommLinkUSB. How would I go on getting the parts for that, other than the Teensy 2.0?

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind paying for one to be built by someone who has more free time, and knowledge on building it. (I'd probably pay for parts, time spent, and shipping)

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » July 26th, 2015, 7:00 pm

All parts other than PCB are available on eBay, or check your local electronics supplier if you have one. Only thing you would need making up are the PCBs

neSneSgB
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by neSneSgB » July 27th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Alright, even if I just Google the parts, I can find them somewhere easily, or in a store. The only thing that I was wondering about, like you said, was that PCB. I noticed it said CommLinkUSB and the author's email address, so I will email him, unless you know how I could get a PCB created. (The GitHub page has files for "CadSoft EAGLE PCB Design Software", so maybe that will help with this.)