[TUTORIAL] Catflap and Caetla on Windows XP

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

[TUTORIAL] Catflap and Caetla on Windows XP

Post by Sirrico » October 22nd, 2014, 11:33 am

Hello all, this is a tutorial on how to develop for the PS1 on Windows XP. Many people report problems when attempting to send data to a Playstation on an XP system, but through this configuration I've been successful.

You will need:
-XP computer with integrated DB-25 (printer) port
-DB-25 female to male cable
-Xplorer FX (flashed with caetla .34, or .35)

Firstly we need to enter the bios of the PC. We want to find the Parallel point settings. Mine were located within a peripheral submenu.

Once there, be sure the Parallel port is set to 378/IRQ7 and running in SPP mode. Save your changes and start the computer.

Next you want to flash your Xplorer FX with caetla .34 or .35. To do this, get the file from the topic below and burn it to a disk.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=135
Flash the rom and then ensure that it is running correctly.

Plug in the male end of the DB-25 cable to the motherboard port, and the female end into the Xplorer, which should be inside the PS1. Make sure this is one continuous cable, I encountered errors when experimenting with extensions.

Now we need to install the correct drivers.

We need to use drivers and an updated Catflap from a user called Orion_. You can acquire these from his website (google Orions website psx) or you can download the attachment below.
Driver and Catflap.zip
Extract the file, enter the inpout32 folder, and double click the driver installation file.
Hopefully it was successful. :D Now we want to open device manager. Locate the port and enter the settings.

We want LPT to be on 1, and make sure the range is correct.

Now locate the folder containing your code and copy the contents of the attached zipped folder containing the catflap files into the same directory as your PS1 executable. You can also install catflap to an actual location, but in case you do not know how, just make sure that the catflap.exe is in the same folder as your executable code. Open up the CMD and navigate to the folder. Turn on the PS1, make sure you are in the caetla main menu, and then run the code with a command such as:

Code: Select all

catflap run main.exe

If all works out, the program will be sent to the Playstation and you will see it shortly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Sirrico

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 22nd, 2014, 3:18 pm

I never tried CATFLAP when I was attempting to get my Xplorer to work 2 years ago. I was using PSEXE.COM.
Does that work too for you?

PSEXE.COM -P10 MAIN.EXE
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Sirrico » October 23rd, 2014, 9:16 am

Shadow wrote:I never tried CATFLAP when I was attempting to get my Xplorer to work 2 years ago. I was using PSEXE.COM.
Does that work too for you?

PSEXE.COM -P10 MAIN.EXE
Doesn't seem like any of the ports work... PSEXE is 16 bit, correct? That might be a problem on XP. Maybe there's an updated version somewhere, or the source can be updated.
-Sirrico

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 23rd, 2014, 9:21 am

PSEXE definitely doesnt work under XP, it requires direct port access which XP prohibits.

CATFLAP works okay with the old driver they originally wrote too but the CPU utilization is huge..

PSEXE only works on DOS or in a DOS shell under 95/98/ME.

Greg
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501

Post by Greg » October 23rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Sirrico use PSEXE ver 2.08, maybe try the ver 2.15 that support parallel port?

I not able to test it right now, but you can found it in the attached file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Sirrico » October 23rd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Greg wrote:Sirrico use PSEXE ver 2.08, maybe try the ver 2.15 that support parallel port?

This version gets as far as to search for the PS1, but ends up hanging there. I'm still experimenting though, I feel like this could work.
-Sirrico

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 23rd, 2014, 2:23 pm

danhans42 wrote:PSEXE definitely doesnt work under XP, it requires direct port access which XP prohibits.

CATFLAP works okay with the old driver they originally wrote too but the CPU utilization is huge..

PSEXE only works on DOS or in a DOS shell under 95/98/ME.
Ah, that's why I could never get it to work. I beleive there was someone here who recompiled PSEXE.COM for Win32. After all, I did release the source for it. I'll try to find the topic if it exists...

Sirrico wrote:
Greg wrote:Sirrico use PSEXE ver 2.08, maybe try the ver 2.15 that support parallel port?

This version gets as far as to search for the PS1, but ends up hanging there. I'm still experimenting though, I feel like this could work.
If it's hanging, it doesn't like your EEPROM still.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Greg
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by Greg » October 29th, 2014, 7:28 am

PSEXE can work on win xp with "DosBox Megabuild" but not with the regular DosBox

DosBox Megabuild: http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/

You will need PortTalk driver: http://retired.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » October 29th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Have you tested it yourself? I tried this a long time ago and could never get it to communicate.

Greg
Verified
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User

Post by Greg » October 29th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Yes, I tested it, at the first attempt it not work, then I installed the "PortTalk", and everything works.
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

Myria
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Myria » November 28th, 2014, 3:30 pm

If it weren't for f*cking PatchGuard, this'd be possible all the way to 8.1 x86-64...