Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2262
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Shadow » October 21st, 2014, 4:01 pm

That seems like a VSync problem. It is caused because it can not write to the EEPROM.
For example, when you change video modes to NTSC, it is previewing in NTSC mode, but when you select it, it can't save it to the ROM so it defaults back to PAL. You could always colour mod your NTSC PSX, but it means you will need a TV that can support an NTSC-50 frequency (not possible). You should use RGB which will avoid all problems you are having.

If Greg doesn't get back to you in time, LameGuy64 might be able to dump the ROM for you, or else some reverse engineering might need to be done on the ROM you have to find what location CAETLA is setting the video mode to by default and inverting the bit (they are most likely using SetVideoMode(1)).

You have several options to use, but the only thing I can suggest is to wait for the PAL PSX, the new ROM from Greg or buy a new EEPROM. If you go with the PAL PSX route, just be sure to check the AC input voltage for the PAL PSX matches your grids AC input voltage before plugging it in ;)

Remember though, your TV must support PAL-50 for the PAL PSX you are waiting on, or else use RGB.

By the way, please elaborate in detailed depth how you managed to get the Xplorer working under Windows XP.
It will help others in the future should they stumble upon this topic after a search engine places them here ;)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
Sirrico
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
Posts: 27
Joined: September 5th, 2014, 11:30 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Sirrico » October 22nd, 2014, 9:01 am

Shadow wrote: By the way, please elaborate in detailed depth how you managed to get the Xplorer working under Windows XP.
It will help others in the future should they stumble upon this topic after a search engine places them here ;)
Sure, I'll write up a tutorial in a little while and edit in a hyperlink here to send any interested parties to the new forum post.

Another interesting thing: if I force NTSC in code, the final image (once main.exe is started through caetla) comes out just fine. So I am actually set for now. Granted, I can fix the scrambled menu soon, but I can start homebrewing now!

Edit: tutorial for using caetla and catflap on Windows XP; viewtopic.php?f=47&t=668
-Sirrico

User avatar
Greg
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
Posts: 101
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 1:27 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501
Location: Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Greg » October 22nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

Sorry for the delay, I'm in a trip, I will be back home Tuesday, in the meantime I have the info for Caetla34

Videomode Offset 1BF84 0=NTSC, 1=PAL
Language Offset 1BF97 0=Japanese, 1=English
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

User avatar
Greg
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
Posts: 101
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 1:27 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501
Location: Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Greg » October 23rd, 2014, 4:34 pm

Caetla 0.34 Settings: NTSC, English, Xplorer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

krzyimprt
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 3
Joined: December 7th, 2014, 4:17 am

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by krzyimprt » December 7th, 2014, 5:06 am

I am having the same issues as Sirrico, the ROM seems to be flashing fine, but I get the infinity scrolling screen. Caetla34 and 35 yield the same results. I have to put the switch in the down position and hold L1+L2+R1+R1+Start while turning on the console for it to even post at the menu or I'll be stuck at a scrolling loading screen forever. I am also looking for some roms in particular Zippy 0.33, Action Replay 3.3 Innovational, Ahoy 0.34. and EMS 1.55. They're nearly impossible to find online, let alone other roms in the correct format. Is there a converter for .fcd / .bin to .rom? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Here is a picture of my cart.
SST 29EE020 (EXPLORER) - 256KB
Image

Scrolling Issue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaMul74zIo

User avatar
Greg
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
Posts: 101
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 1:27 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501
Location: Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Greg » December 7th, 2014, 10:44 am

You can choose PAL or NTSC in caetla,

Press "Select + L1" then choose NTSC or PAL according to your PSX region.
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

krzyimprt
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 3
Joined: December 7th, 2014, 4:17 am

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by krzyimprt » December 8th, 2014, 2:39 am

That's the thing though Greg, I have tried that and it goes back to scrolling after I exit the settings. It's like they never stick. I might just try the CAETLA34 rom you linked above with it defaulted to NTSC.

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2262
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Shadow » December 8th, 2014, 9:58 pm

It doesn't save the settings because the EPROM is wrong. You need to replace it with one of these:
Xplorer SST 29EE020 (2 Megabit | 256K x8) EEPROM -> http://www.psxdev.net/store.html

Make sure though it is solderable to your Xplorer.
Otherwise, you will need to find a replacement PLCC version instead of the DIP package as seen in the store.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
Greg
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
Posts: 101
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 1:27 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501
Location: Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Greg » December 8th, 2014, 11:17 pm

in caetla the :circle button is for validate the selection, and the :cross is for cancel.
it's confusing, as in the games we are used to use :cross for validation and :circle for cancel.
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

User avatar
Greg
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
Posts: 101
Joined: September 9th, 2013, 1:27 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7501
Location: Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Greg » December 8th, 2014, 11:54 pm

@ krzyimprt
in the picture and the video you posted, it's look like you have a Pro Action Replay, not a Xplorer cartridge, try this in order:

in the caetla menu press:
1) Select + L1
2) :left
3) :circle
1 x SCPH-7501, 2 x SCPH-7001, 2 x SCPH-5501
1 x Pro Action Replay with "Dual Rom Mod", ROM 1: Caetla, ROM 2: UNIROM
1 x Xplorer V2 with Caetla
1 x GameShark V2.1
1 x GameShark Pro V3.0
1 x CommLinkUSB
1 x XLinkUSB

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2262
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Shadow » December 9th, 2014, 10:37 am

Not sure why he said he had an Xplorer then, but in any case, an Action Replay won't work (unless you build a FreeWing, though, I have never tried it so I can't say if it works or not).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
TriMesh
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
Posts: 193
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 2:25 pm
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by TriMesh » December 11th, 2014, 3:04 am

Greg wrote:in caetla the :circle button is for validate the selection, and the :cross is for cancel.
it's confusing, as in the games we are used to use :cross for validation and :circle for cancel.
It's because the guy that developed Caetla was Japanese, and that's the convention they use in the Japanese games - in fact, it's more than just a convention in games; to a Japanese person :circle always means "OK/Correct" and :cross always means "Cancel/Wrong"

I have no idea why SCEA decided to change it, though.

Type 79
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
Posts: 61
Joined: September 18th, 2012, 2:30 am
Location: Finland

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Type 79 » December 11th, 2014, 7:19 am

krzyimprt wrote:I am also looking for some roms in particular Zippy 0.33, Action Replay 3.3 Innovational, Ahoy 0.34. and EMS 1.55. They're nearly impossible to find online, let alone other roms in the correct format. Is there a converter for .fcd / .bin to .rom? Any help would be highly appreciated.
I uploaded Ahoy 0.34 and Zippy 0.33 here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=690

Gradius
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
Posts: 219
Joined: September 9th, 2012, 3:01 pm
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501
Location: Chile

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Gradius » December 11th, 2014, 12:46 pm

TriMesh wrote:
Greg wrote:in caetla the :circle button is for validate the selection, and the :cross is for cancel.
it's confusing, as in the games we are used to use :cross for validation and :circle for cancel.
It's because the guy that developed Caetla was Japanese, and that's the convention they use in the Japanese games - in fact, it's more than just a convention in games; to a Japanese person :circle always means "OK/Correct" and :cross always means "Cancel/Wrong"

I have no idea why SCEA decided to change it, though.
To japanese circle is OK/Correct as you say because is a cultural thing. The same goes for the X.

For the SCEA part, dunno, perhaps they decided to make something different (and stupid).

krzyimprt
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 3
Joined: December 7th, 2014, 4:17 am

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by krzyimprt » January 11th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Shadow wrote:Not sure why he said he had an Xplorer then, but in any case, an Action Replay won't work (unless you build a FreeWing, though, I have never tried it so I can't say if it works or not).
I managed to get some other roms working. That's what it said in Xflash SST 29EE020 (EXPLORER) - 256KB so I wrote it down. The cart itself is a Gameshark InterAct with a V2.3 sticker. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2262
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Xplorer FX and X-Flash: Black Screens

Post by Shadow » February 19th, 2018, 6:16 am

Okay, I have an Action Replay V3 (DATEL REF 1332), and I'm trying to get it to work with my Commslink. However, my settings in CAETLA 0.34 are not saving to the Action Replay. The EEPROM is a SST 25SF040, 120-4C-NH, 991056-C. X-FLASH detects it as a "WINBOND 29EE01X (128 KB). Since I can't save the settings, I can't set in CAETLA the "Hardware Setting" to "PAR/GS", so the Commslink can communicate with it.

So, if I try to now dump the ROM from my Xplorer with the modified settings, it won't work because I need to set the "Hardware Setting" to "PAR/GS". Reason I'm doing this is because there is a really old Japanese program called "PSDebug" which uses the Commslink to debug via CAETLA (IE: assembly level debugging). The program can't be patched since it uses the raw low-level DOS communication protocol to the Commslink directly.

Anyone know in the CAETLA hex/disassembly where this offset is, or, if not, why my genuine DATEL Game Shark might not be saving the settings within CAETLA 0.34?

*EDIT*
Okay! I replaced the on-board EEPROM with a CMOS Flash ROM. However, I did not use the Action Replay/Game Shark. I used a cheap Chinese clone which has a yellow sticker on it called the "PSX Chip Card". I replaced it with a DIP socket, and a AT29C10A. The settings are saving now, and the Commslink works! :praise
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest