PS1 RGB/S-Video cable/output type questions

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 19th, 2016, 9:47 am

I use the chroma sync on my Sony PVM, but you can try using the composite sync instead.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by DD-Indeed » November 19th, 2016, 9:55 am

Matt wrote:I use the chroma sync on my Sony PVM, but you can try using the composite sync instead.

So basically, I could just swap that yellow wire and the pin between pins 5-7 to see which one works out the best ?

Update:

I tried couple things:

Changed the yellow S-Video Chroma-sync cable with pin (7) to replace Composite C-sync pin (6) and then to S-Video Luma-sync (5) (pins 5 and 6 were not in use), but the picture went to complete hurricane. I also removed it completely, but same thing occured. Then I put it back to the original place (7) and the picture worked out fine, but sometimes when resetting the console, the picture scrolled for some seconds, before it settled down. Perhaps the TV itself is having troubles with the signal ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » November 20th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Yes. You're TV seems to be having troubles locking onto the sync signal in this case. You'll just have to leave it as it was originally.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » November 20th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Matt wrote:Yes. You're TV seems to be having troubles locking onto the sync signal in this case. You'll just have to leave it as it was originally.
Yeah, I guess so. I have two more things I try out. Firstly, I managed to find one original grey PS1 RGB-Scart cable, that I'm gonna buy in next couple of days. Secondly, I ordered one of those ''cheap'' Scart to HDMI converters from china, because you need to have some future proofness too, they start to leave the Scart-connector off from the modern TV's little by little.

This was the device and honestly, I think, that the price is promising, since it's not super cheap:

http://www.dx.com/p/scart-hdmi-to-hdmi- ... ack-129829

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » November 22nd, 2016, 12:34 am

Yet another update, I found something interesting today.

This is aftermarket RGB Scart, either for Nintendo SNES/Gamecube and propably the NTSC version. However, when opening the Scart head:

Image Image Image

It has same 220 uF capasitors and 180k resistor inside, what PS1 RGB Scart-cable should have too. And the schematics are exactly the same on the Scart head.

SNES/GameCube schematics:

PS1 schematics:

Here's what I'm gonna do. I have one component cable for PS2, that has all the pins in the console head. So, I'll connect that to this new cable, inside the RCA jack, since I can just ''join in'' there without destroying the SNES/Gamecube-head. I'll let you know how this works out, since if it works out fine, people can easily obtain proper RGB Scart cables for PS1, that are correctly manufactured and have correct components inside, via buying SNES/Gamecube cable and modifying PS1 cable to it.

Update: I soldered the PS1 RGB cable to the SNES cable, into the RCA-jack section:

It worked, picture came out as it should and the connections were correct. However, there was some noise in the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCf9b-Tees

Could it be possible, that the noise is happening, because there's no shielding in that SNES-cable ?

Edit: I took that Scart head from that SNES-cable and soldered that to the PS1 RGB cable I already had. Picture quality is still great, but the picture still spins, when I start the console, so it's about the TV sync issue, nothing else. Hopefully that converter I bought would fix up that issue.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by DD-Indeed » November 29th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Sorry if I've been constant irriation to people. :D This time, I have something useful to share for everyone, who wanna get a proper Scart cable for themselves.

Some days ago, I searched my stuff and found one super cheap chinese Component-cable for PS2, like this:

http://www.dx.com/p/component-video-aud ... eter-15211

I decided to take a look of it and put it to apart. When I opened the AV-head, I discovered this:

It has all 12 pins and you can solder wires to it. What this means, is that you could solder a properly shielded Scart-cable to it to build an RGB-cable yourself and it's easy to do. You can also buy either Japanese or European Scart-cable, depending your region and only solder that in to the AV-head as in schematic picture, you don't need to change wires in the Scart head either (just make sure, that you have the right schematic, both can be found from Google).

Now, I need to do that myself and test out, that does it work as intended, WITHOUT capacitors or any other mods, just straight wires from AV to Scart. If it does, this is very simple way of building yourself a proper RGB-Scart cable for PS1. :)