BIOS Swap?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » September 9th, 2018, 3:49 am

Modchips don't interact with the BIOS at all, except for this one case where the OneChip code patches a region check in the 102 (so PAL PSOne only) machine.
You can use all the retro chips to unlock the 1002 Mechacon, but if you feel like tinkering a little, try PsNee for Arduino.
PsNee is more intelligent than the other chips. It works the same on all consoles and the stealth function is actually part of its operation.

Otherwise, I believe Stealth V2.8a is recommended for a 100x series.

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » September 18th, 2018, 8:38 am

I never used Arduino or even owned one, maybe i'll give it a try someday.
rama3 wrote: September 8th, 2018, 6:01 am Great, and how about using that 102 chip in the 1002 machine?
Done (4.4) and it appears to work as it should so far.
But i think i'll stick using 4.1 bios with my 1002 consoles since i find it nicer and want to use Stealth V2.8a modchips.

pewu
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by pewu » May 31st, 2019, 7:55 am

I just did a swap on my 7000 PU-20 to BIOS from broken 102 PM-41 I had lying around, it seems to work just fine, if anyone seeks a confirmation. Obviously it doesn't boot anything without modchip, as PAL games are blocked at Mechacon stage and NTSC-J are blocked by BIOS, but at least with this BIOS I can fix that with PsNee.