Mod my PSone to add Link Port?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Sootylad
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Mod my PSone to add Link Port?

Post by Sootylad » May 12th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Hi guys,

New to this forum, interesting stuff and happy to be here so howdy :)

After looking into getting a cheap CRT telly and some duplicate games for some 2 player action, I realised the PSone (of which I have 2) doesn't have the port for linkup :shock: (what were they thinking?)

So I'm wondering if I can hardwire an RJ45 port or something similar to get this functionality back? I've read the contact points are still in place but got a bit foxed when people started talking about inverting handshake signals and the like, although that may only be to do with the Yaroze stuff?

If anybody can tell me if this is even possible and point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated :)

S.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » May 12th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Sootylad wrote:... I realised the PSone (of which I have 2) doesn't have the port for linkup :shock: (what were they thinking?)
Sony board room meeting ~1999: "Let's make a PlayStation 1 called the PSone and make it as cheap as possible. Oh, and while we are at it, let's make a DVR later on called the PSX and release it only in Japan and forget about the original PlayStation all together".

Your best bet is to speak with someone called 'Danhans'.
He has done it before (it is completely possible).
This is his website with the modification: http://psx0.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/ps ... nk-serial/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.