PSX with Component cable.

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
CosmoGuy
Serious PSXDEV User
Serious PSXDEV User
I am a: Hell knows who I am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

PSX with Component cable.

Post by CosmoGuy » February 2nd, 2014, 4:48 am

Hi

I was wondering today, why is there no possibility, to plug ps1 via component cable which is ok for ps2 and ps3?

Why is there so big problem to show image through it with ps1?

Regards :).

Edit: sneaking on the internet i found this nice little thing: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=40575 Does someone of you guys have this? :D Pretty rare thing i guess.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » February 2nd, 2014, 5:39 am

Because PS1 can't produce YPbPr component signal. It does Composite (CVBS), S-Video and RGB.

On PS2 R, G and B pins double for component and you have to manually toggle between RGB and YPbPr (in BIOS).
In that configuration G pin (now Y) outputs sync while in RGB mode (which is same as in PS1) it doesn't.

If you were to modify PS1 to output sync on green you could use that cable with a SoG (Sync on Green) RGB monitor.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

danhans42
BANNED
BANNED

Post by danhans42 » February 2nd, 2014, 8:08 pm

I have something pretty similar to that, but I would be sceptical of the seller listing that one as "official".

The unit I have plugs into the AV port and also takes its power from the memory card slot.

The picture quality isn't great but the main problem is the refresh rate. Most TFT monitors I plug it into complain about the sync being out of range. The picture quality isn't good either, the colours are a bit washed out and I get a much better picture by using a decently quality RGB start lead on my TV over that via the VGA port.

DD-Indeed
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Average DIY-guy
PlayStation Model: SCPH-5502

Post by DD-Indeed » June 10th, 2014, 6:53 pm

I've also bought a Component cable for PS1, but it only brings B&W picture, so it's useless, works only with PS2/PS3, which support YPbPr-signal. RGB-cable is the way to go, hard to find, but if you find, picture quality improves mutch.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » June 10th, 2014, 9:31 pm

The PSX doesn't support YPbPr, but you can use S-Video though that if you rework the cable.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » June 11th, 2014, 1:08 pm

It supports RGB (japanese SCART) too.

RGB totally rulez! 8-) :dance

Back in PSX era, I used to use S-Video all the time.

NetYaroze
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3002

Post by NetYaroze » April 28th, 2015, 8:33 am

Today the best solution to play PS1 games on first PlayStation are AV/RGB to HDMI Upscaler/Converter, over the conversion from AV to HDMI do a great work on HDTV with better image quality! check this example: ...it's a lot better than the SLPH-00016 upscan for PSX, but, aware of the cheap chinese low cost products AVtoHDMI in white mini box or similar :)
Note: Take a look on stuff for sale:
https://sites.google.com/site/paginaprezzi

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » April 28th, 2015, 4:31 pm

I find it's easier to get an old CRT TV and drive the cathode RGB guns directly from RGB out of the console. Problem is, you need an amp to drive the cathodes because RGB from a PSX is ~0.7V, where as the cathodes require a bit of a higher voltage. The cathode voltages depend on the TV, so use a voltmeter to check and try to match them with the amplifier. It will work on a lower voltage, but the picture will be dim. It's best to add potentiometers to the back of the guns so you can fine tune them according to your likeliness.

As for the sync, just feed the C-Sync signal to the RF, Video 1 and Video 2 pins on the driver IC. That way, as soon as you turn the TV on, no matter what channel it is on, it will always display your picture. This mod will now render the TV as a dedicated RGB TV only, so unless you add a bunch or switches or make yourself a circuit that will use something like an ATMEGA328 with mosfets to control everything via a single button, it's stuck like that.

I've also found you can drive the on screen display chip (aka "Jungle IC"), but most of them use digital RGB and not analog RGB, so you wont see gradients for example.

I have a really big and old NEC CRT that I will try to get working using the direct gun driving method. I will start a worklog so that others can see how to do it.

*UPDATE*
Here we go: http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=723
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

smf
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by smf » April 28th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Shadow wrote:I find it's easier to get an old CRT TV and drive the cathode RGB guns directly from RGB out of the console.
That is mental, I like it.

It should be possible to modify the PS1 to output YUV, or do it externally.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31989
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... and-layout
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... -Video-Out

As long as you don't need a scaler the rgb to yuv conversion should be quite a simple circuit.

These may be a cheap starting point http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-TO-CO ... 4aab4b988f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-TO-CO ... 4aab4b988f

They may be lying though and they might expect the device to support outputting YUV over the RGB pins, without buying one and trying it you can't really tell. Maybe send them a question and see if they'll refund you if it doesn't do what they claim? You'd need a PS1 to RGB scart and a female to female scart convertor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37123100 ... 0&ff14=108

If you want a CRT then use a CRT, if you just want the best picture possible from your ps1 to your large flat screen TV then it should be possible to do it.

NetYaroze
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
PlayStation Model: DTL-H3002

Post by NetYaroze » April 29th, 2015, 12:29 am

If all you need is SCART why do not but the normally released AV to SCART? there is official and unofficial versions around...

In future will have only HDTV with 8K and more, HDMI 2.0 and superior, DisplayPort 1.X and other interface, the SCART will not have future on other TV. I have Sony 4K 55' display, where the hell I use SCART? XD for this reason think the mini upscaler and converter to HDMI working fine.

If have better and more easy solution (without need to modify your console) let me know! :)
Of course can play PSX games on PS2 and from PS2 use the PS3 composite cable to cost like gold! XD
Note: Take a look on stuff for sale:
https://sites.google.com/site/paginaprezzi

smf
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User

Post by smf » April 29th, 2015, 4:17 am

NetYaroze wrote:In future will have only HDTV with 8K and more, HDMI 2.0 and superior, DisplayPort 1.X and other interface, the SCART will not have future on other TV. I have Sony 4K 55' display, where the hell I use SCART?
This thread is about using component YUV from PS1, not SCART. The point is valid that one day TV's won't have component either, but it's easier to convert RGB to YUV than it is to HDMI. You can buy converters, but they are relatively expensive and not as cool. I'd rather not use an upscaler in any case.

The PS3 is a pure software emulator and not a very accurate one at that, the PS2 is part software and part hardware emulator and is better but not 100% accurate either.

stvincent
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by stvincent » May 9th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Why did the SCPH-1001 have separate audio/video outputs in addition to the standard A/V multiout?

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » May 9th, 2015, 1:23 pm

stvincent wrote:Why did the SCPH-1001 have separate audio/video outputs in addition to the standard A/V multiout?
It was based on the SCPH-1000, and at that point many Japanese TV sets used custom AV cables - but they normally all had RCA jacks on the end, because that's what camcorders used. They also wanted to use the same connector arrangement that Sony camcorders used, since that meant you could use the same RF modulator unit (That's why the video and L/Mono outputs are that precise spacing and have a 5V power socket between them to run the RF unit).

The original SCPH-1000 design also had a S-Video socket on the rear panel (between the composite video output and the multi-AV), but this was specific to this model.

Gradius
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: IT Consultant, Systems Integrator
PlayStation Model: 7501

Post by Gradius » May 10th, 2015, 5:25 am

PS1/PSX can output real C-Sync, besides R G B.

For that you need to get the signal directly from RGB (normally from CXA1645 or H7240 or Sony A2160) IC.

CXA1645 pin 10
H7240 pin 14
A2160 pin 14

For audio, L (left) is called mono too, and R (right) is just the other audio channel.

Here is the SCPH-1000 photo:

More infos:
http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/play ... e-ps1.html