( SOLVED) GameShark Pro v3.0/v3.1/v3.2 Freeze On Starting Game After Flashing Original ROM?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
alexfree
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
I am a: Programmer, Gamer
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1000

( SOLVED) GameShark Pro v3.0/v3.1/v3.2 Freeze On Starting Game After Flashing Original ROM?

Post by alexfree » January 6th, 2023, 11:14 am

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Quite a while ago, I bought 2 GameShark v3.0 Pro Cheat Cartridges 'New' from eBay, same seller I think.

The sole reason I bought these carts originally was to flash these cartridges with other software, and that all works fine. I managed to do the stuff I needed to on these carts (Tonyhax International ROM, helping MottZilla with Stealth ROM). I don't think I actually tried using the original GameShark ROM on them.

But now, I want to mess around with the actual GameShark O.G. ROM software, for reasons.... So I have flashed GameShark Pro v3.0, v3.1, and v3.2 (using UNIROM) to 'restore' the cartridges.

Something I noticed when testing the carts after flashing (any official 3.x version) was that the 'start game with codes' or 'start game without codes' options just don't boot the game. The original PSX disc just keeps spinning at 1x speed and does nothing. I looked at the manual, and it said if I want to directly boot the PSX disc with the cheat cart inserted into the PSX without going through the GameShark menu I can hold the 'freeze' button (the little button on the cartridge itself). This surprisingly does work, the disc goes from 1x to 2x speed while the GameShark menu is loading (and the logo is displayed) and then the whole menu is skipped and the game just boots.

have even zero'd out the whole cart (using UNiROM) and tried flashing again and it still doesn't start the game from the GameShark menu.

I managed to flash the Xplorer USA ROM (in the UNiROM collection) and that actually boot the game correctly from that cheat menu. Still, I'd much rather use the nicer GameShark ROM software. And I am really confused why this is even happening.

I have tried with 4 different consoles.
I am using original PSX discs that boot normally with no issues.
I am experiencing the same issue on both GameShark Pro v3.0 cheat carts.
Last edited by alexfree on January 6th, 2023, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexfree
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by alexfree » January 6th, 2023, 3:09 pm

SOLVED!
What I did was in Unirom, flash GameShark v3.0 ROM but manually specify my cartridge type instead of letting UniROM auto-detect it. I specified that my GameShark Pro v3.0 cartridge is a 512KB cart and then flashed the original ROM. This worked and now the GameShark works completely as expected!

Squaresoft74
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502

Post by Squaresoft74 » January 10th, 2023, 3:56 am

Was it with using the current UniROM 8.0.K version ?
I can flash mine just fine with letting UniROM auto-detect it.

alexfree
Verified
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by alexfree » January 14th, 2023, 11:47 am

Squaresoft74 wrote: January 10th, 2023, 3:56 am Was it with using the current UniROM 8.0.K version ?
I can flash mine just fine with letting UniROM auto-detect it.
Yes, unirom 8.0k. It flashes and boots correctly if you use the auto detect. However when you try to load a game using the actual gameshark rom it doesn't work. I had to manually specify that my gameshark pro 3 is a 512kb cart, then it fully works.