PSOne Restart itself

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User
I am a: Usual Internet Surfer
Motto: Night Always Tells The Truth
PlayStation Model: SCPH-103
Discord: TEddy#7355

PSOne Restart itself

Post by TEddy69 » September 26th, 2022, 1:42 am

Got my psone ntsc-j (SCPH-103) in my attic
Boots normally when there no cd in it
but after i put a disc in it constantly restart itself
Video :
https://youtu.be/uDaAwyL_1Pg

is there any way to fix it ?

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 26th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Quite an interesting problem. I want to say it's probably power supply related. There might be a short on the drive mechanics somewhere which causes it to brownout and restart.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » September 26th, 2022, 6:44 pm

Shadow wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:16 pm Quite an interesting problem. I want to say it's probably power supply related. There might be a short on the drive mechanics somewhere which causes it to brownout and restart.
I see
My first suspicious was the power supply
cuz when i put the PSone upside down it start to accept the disk and boot :lol:
Now that you mention the Cd-Drive problem
i think i need to buy a replacement just to be safe :mrgreen:

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » September 26th, 2022, 8:22 pm

TEddy69 wrote: September 26th, 2022, 6:44 pm
Shadow wrote: September 26th, 2022, 4:16 pm Quite an interesting problem. I want to say it's probably power supply related. There might be a short on the drive mechanics somewhere which causes it to brownout and restart.
I see
My first suspicious was the power supply
cuz when i put the PSone upside down it start to accept the disk and boot :lol:
Now that you mention the Cd-Drive problem
i think i need to buy a replacement just to be safe :mrgreen:
Turning the PSone upside down should not fix the reboot/power issue. Perhaps the drive was shorted internally which caused the PSone to enter a reboot loop and turning it upside down removed the short somehow (which sounds really ridiculous to me). Feel free to share if you find the real diagnosis for the issue. Good luck :)
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

acid juice
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User
I am a: electrical engineering student
PlayStation Model: SCPH 5501

Post by acid juice » September 30th, 2022, 2:18 am

I had this problem on one of my psones.

in my case it was a problem with the power button, it was acting as a resistor limiting the voltage and current coming out of the button. in that case, it would be necessary to replace it or do the easiest thing, dismantle it, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and reassemble it (it's easy).

I will upload two photos, in both is the power connector on the opposite side and there are two circles in the photos, one red and one blue and inside each there are two terminals, press the power button without the power supply and measure the resistance between the terminals inside each circle, if it appears 0 to 2 ohms is ok, if it appears values ??like 10, 200 ohms the power button has the mentioned problem.
Put the multimeter in continuity scale, if it beeps it's good, if it doesn't beep it's bad.
K3QiJGZ~3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:cross My PS collection currently (I plan to grow). :circle

2X 5501
1X 7001
2X 101

1X 39001
1X 50001
1X 90001 (first console)

1X CECH 4001B

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » October 3rd, 2022, 2:56 pm

acid juice wrote: September 30th, 2022, 2:18 am I had this problem on one of my psones.

in my case it was a problem with the power button, it was acting as a resistor limiting the voltage and current coming out of the button. in that case, it would be necessary to replace it or do the easiest thing, dismantle it, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and reassemble it (it's easy).

I will upload two photos, in both is the power connector on the opposite side and there are two circles in the photos, one red and one blue and inside each there are two terminals, press the power button without the power supply and measure the resistance between the terminals inside each circle, if it appears 0 to 2 ohms is ok, if it appears values ??like 10, 200 ohms the power button has the mentioned problem.
Put the multimeter in continuity scale, if it beeps it's good, if it doesn't beep it's bad.
K3QiJGZ~3.jpg
Already cleaned it and it still restart itself constantly
Also i remember there Modchip inside (MM3 i installed long time ago)
I Checked the cd drive mechanism and probe test it (4-wire cable and the black switch thingy), All normal
Imma try remove the modchip later and let yall know the result

UPDATE

Board is quite dirty so i clean em with soft brush and Isopropyl alcohol
While cleaning im find that one of the capacitor (or fuse???) in C617 Location has jump wire on it
Is this ok or should i replace it ??

acid juice
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by acid juice » October 4th, 2022, 11:53 am

did you check the resistance on the power button terminals with it pressed? if you don't resist, it's ok.

these components are fuses, and one of them in specific is jumpered with a thin copper wire, it is the PS004, if I'm not mistaken it is responsible for feeding the controls with 3V or 8V I don't remember for sure.

it must not be the tailgate, but when in doubt, try to turn it on with the game but without controls and see if it restarts, if it continues restarting, turn it on again with a disk and measure the voltage at the connector input, where I show in the photo, and check the voltage, both off and in use, test with disk and without disk, to see if there is a voltage drop.

edit:
I watched your video again and got an idea.
Turn on the device without reader, controls or peripherals, just power and video cable, and with it already on the memory card screen press the button that activates the CD drive, it is below the control connectors, if you don't turn off the problem is in optical unit or power supply, if it turns off, check the voltage as in the photo and if there is a voltage drop, if there is no BA chip, your device is probably with problems or just a damaged capacitor.

check the voltage with the multimeter at that point with it on and off. must have a value of 7.5V
ps1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2X 5501
1X 7001
2X 101

1X 39001
1X 50001
1X 90001 (first console)

1X CECH 4001B

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » October 4th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Remove that wire instantly and install a new fuse properly. There's a reason why the fuses are in place.

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » October 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Oh yes
This is for Acid Juice
i forgot to tell you the resistance test fir the switches (Big soz)
(And sorry i cant photo it cuz hands are full)
My Psone Power supply voltage : 7.8 Volt

Power button on No Power : 0.01 ohm
Power button with power : 0.05 ohm
Pressed Power button with power and video out : 0.04 ohm

Cd door switch with no power : 0.10 ohm
Cd door switch with power : 0.10 ohm
Pressed Cd door switch with power and video out : 0.11 ohm

and the Fuse on PS600 is 7.0 volt on idle
When i turn it on it dropped slightly and back up again

And that out of the way

Here the vid of the turning the psone on barebone state that you need to see hehe
Spoiler alert : Nothing happens, maybe you're right about the CD-Drive / Optical Drive problem
https://youtu.be/Ks73ZPvzVfQ

and for Shadow
What the part name for that fuse?

acid juice
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by acid juice » October 6th, 2022, 6:04 am

reply for TEddy69
Everything indicates that it is a problem with the optical set of the device, if you want to confirm do the following, connect only the white wire of the reader to the board, turn on the device, press the button that turns the reader on and see if it turns off, if it stays making noise of the engine turning and not turning off is ok, if it turns off it is necessary to change one of the motors or both.

You can test with the reader as well, just connect the orange cable, turn on the device, press the button that activates the reader on the board and check if it remains on or off, if it turns off it is the shorted lens, if it does not turn off locate it in the structure of the lens, from the bottom a button equal to the one on the plate and press it that it should raise the lens and emit a flash of light, or depending on how it stopped on the rail it will activate automatically.

And as soon as this problem is solved, replace the damaged fuse with one of the same value as said by Shadow, if I'm not mistaken it's 1A, tonight I'll check the datasheet.

2X 5501
1X 7001
2X 101

1X 39001
1X 50001
1X 90001 (first console)

1X CECH 4001B

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » October 6th, 2022, 9:39 pm

acid juice wrote: October 6th, 2022, 6:04 am reply for TEddy69
Everything indicates that it is a problem with the optical set of the device, if you want to confirm do the following, connect only the white wire of the reader to the board, turn on the device, press the button that turns the reader on and see if it turns off, if it stays making noise of the engine turning and not turning off is ok, if it turns off it is necessary to change one of the motors or both.

You can test with the reader as well, just connect the orange cable, turn on the device, press the button that activates the reader on the board and check if it remains on or off, if it turns off it is the shorted lens, if it does not turn off locate it in the structure of the lens, from the bottom a button equal to the one on the plate and press it that it should raise the lens and emit a flash of light, or depending on how it stopped on the rail it will activate automatically.

And as soon as this problem is solved, replace the damaged fuse with one of the same value as said by Shadow, if I'm not mistaken it's 1A, tonight I'll check the datasheet.
I knew it, Already order the another cd drive (should arrived tommorow i hope :dance)
But hear this
After i adjust the laser intensity on the potentiometer in orange ribbon cable
the restart is gone, and i put the burned cd in
it boot to the Playstation logo

However

New Problem occured
It sometimes boot to the game and Sometimes stuck in the Playstation logo
What do you guys think about the problem
Is it because of my MM3 Jp modchip ?
Bad cd ? (CD that i use is Verbatim)
or Worn out Laser ?
(Big sorry for my bad english)

UPDATE

Just test the new CD-Drive and the Old problem coming up again
Im not giving up yet
Cuz i need to check all of the capacitor voltage in On state and After i put press CD state especially dem caps near the Fuse that i have suspicious on

Video : [youtube][/youtube]

acid juice
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by acid juice » October 8th, 2022, 7:24 am

I did a better reading of the post and I think I found your current problem: reader wear.

When moving the potentiometer of the reader, you reduced the voltage sent to the lens and because of that it is no longer able to read properly, so it is crashing on the PS screen sometimes.

when it reads the disc and enters the game, you can test it, it will show the cutscine scenes, animation, crashing, with lag because the reader is weak.
in this case it will be necessary to adjust the reader. To do this correctly, you would need an oscilloscope and some other equipment, but you can leave it working at home with just a multimeter, patience and a lot of care.
you will make the adjustment by the trimpot.
trimpot.jpg
with the multimeter, set it to a resistance scale of 2000 Ohms or 2K, remove the flat cable from the card reader and check the resistance of the trimpot by placing each tip in one of the solder points at the bottom of it, where there are two terminals and see the resistance value.
It is recommended that it be between 700 and 1000 Ohms.

to adjust this resistance, you must turn the trimpot clockwise to decrease the value of the multimeter (and increase the voltage) and turn it counterclockwise to increase the value on the multimeter (decrease voltage).
the higher the value on the multimeter, the longer the lens will last. original readers left the factory with about 1400 ohms, I have an original 440ADM with 1300 ohms wax reading everything, original and parallel.

As your reader is parallel, it will probably be between 450-700ohms, but go testing, don't raise or lower the value too much or it won't work.

2X 5501
1X 7001
2X 101

1X 39001
1X 50001
1X 90001 (first console)

1X CECH 4001B

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » October 10th, 2022, 5:40 pm

acid juice wrote: October 8th, 2022, 7:24 am I did a better reading of the post and I think I found your current problem: reader wear.

When moving the potentiometer of the reader, you reduced the voltage sent to the lens and because of that it is no longer able to read properly, so it is crashing on the PS screen sometimes.

when it reads the disc and enters the game, you can test it, it will show the cutscine scenes, animation, crashing, with lag because the reader is weak.
in this case it will be necessary to adjust the reader. To do this correctly, you would need an oscilloscope and some other equipment, but you can leave it working at home with just a multimeter, patience and a lot of care.
you will make the adjustment by the trimpot.
trimpot.jpg
with the multimeter, set it to a resistance scale of 2000 Ohms or 2K, remove the flat cable from the card reader and check the resistance of the trimpot by placing each tip in one of the solder points at the bottom of it, where there are two terminals and see the resistance value.
It is recommended that it be between 700 and 1000 Ohms.

to adjust this resistance, you must turn the trimpot clockwise to decrease the value of the multimeter (and increase the voltage) and turn it counterclockwise to increase the value on the multimeter (decrease voltage).
the higher the value on the multimeter, the longer the lens will last. original readers left the factory with about 1400 ohms, I have an original 440ADM with 1300 ohms wax reading everything, original and parallel.

As your reader is parallel, it will probably be between 450-700ohms, but go testing, don't raise or lower the value too much or it won't work.
Well
i doing as you say, and it boot to the game (game that i put on is GT2) but when it want to reach main menu it instantly reset itself
like i said, im quite suspicious about the capacitors in me PSone cuz im sure they all worn out
I already buy All the capacitor and the fuse according to Gamingdoc.org

Here the fuse looks like (ngl it looks the same as in the PS2)

TEddy69
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by TEddy69 » October 25th, 2022, 1:51 am

FINALE UPDATE
After replacing the fuse and all the caps
it still restarted itself
So i decide to buy new Power Supply