SCPH-5502 ceramic capacitor question

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
gtsamour
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: 5502

SCPH-5502 ceramic capacitor question

Post by gtsamour » November 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am

Hi,

while installing the DFO one ceramic cap must have been damaged even though I barely touched it with the soldering iron at 270C, Must have been cracked already.
Anyone knows what value it is? There is no indication onboard like a cap number. This cap bridges the 3.3V line to ground and there seem to be more caps bridging the power and ground (like in parallel to each other).
The console seems to be working fine but I need to replace it (OCD).

If anyone had a donor pu-18 of the 1-664-537-72 board and could remove it and measure this cap, I would be forever greatful.
The instructions for installing the DFO were to connect te power and ground wires at the two ends of this cap, this is what caused the fault.

Finally I made solder points myself by scratching the green surface to uncover the copper and solder the wires there (much safer), but I need to replace this broken ceramic capacitor. Please if someone could help out...

nonstopxiaowei
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1002
Discord: nonstopxiaowei#4305

Post by nonstopxiaowei » November 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm

10nf

TheShadowRunner
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Enthusiast
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

Post by TheShadowRunner » November 29th, 2021, 5:09 am

http://psxdev.ru/files/manuals/SCPH-550 ... 2_5503.pdf
Not the best quality but maybe can help.

gtsamour
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by gtsamour » November 29th, 2021, 10:06 pm

nonstopxiaowei wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm10nf
Really !!!!! Have you measured the cap at this spot after removing it? If you did THANK YOU !!!!

So, did you actually measure it? How did you come up with this value? :praise
TheShadowRunner wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:09 am http://psxdev.ru/files/manuals/SCPH-550 ... 2_5503.pdf
Not the best quality but maybe can help.
Actually this cap and all the components on the back side of the board are all unmarked.... So this service manual doesn't indicate the value I'm looking for.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 8th, 2022, 4:34 am

That capacitor isn't crucial to the operation of the system. It'll work without it fine since it's just a decoupling capacitor. It's either 1uF or 10uF. The service manual will say.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

gtsamour
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by gtsamour » February 8th, 2022, 7:54 pm

Shadow wrote: February 8th, 2022, 4:34 am That capacitor isn't crucial to the operation of the system. It'll work without it fine since it's just a decoupling capacitor. It's either 1uF or 10uF. The service manual will say.
You must mean 1nF or 10nF (not uF).

Yes you are absolutely right, I just want my board to be "right" and have all the right components at their right places.
Unfortunately I can't find a service manual for the pu-18 board, I searched a lot but can't find it online, and for the ones you can find (other pcb models) there are no information for the decoupling caps in them.

Anyway, since I don't have same board to remove the cap and measure it, I replaced the broken cap with a 10nF as the guy above said that is the right one, he must have registered the forum just to write that as he only has 1 post. The one next to it is 1nF so this one has to be 10nF.
I removed and measured some decoupling caps from a scrap board of another version and they are 1nF, 10nF or 100nF.