Where to get a good replacement for a bad laser, or possible further adjustments?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
d_I_I_b
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Fool

Where to get a good replacement for a bad laser, or possible further adjustments?

Post by d_I_I_b » January 21st, 2021, 7:43 am

Hey you kings, queens, jacks, and jokers of the PSXDEV Network, I have a Craigslist SCPH-5501 that's having issues reading CDs. It can load official discs, but streaming video or audio stutters. I installed a modchip (Mayumi 4 on a 12F683) and it can very inconsistently load backups, but they have the same stuttering issues. I did my best to calibrate the laser with the trim pot on the drive, but to no improvement. I purchased a "new" KSM-440ADM drive from a Hong Kong seller through Ebay, and it appears to have the same problems that Masmorra described in this thread, that is, the laser doesn't even recognize that there is a disc.

I don't want to keep purchasing useless parts from sketchy sellers, so my question is, where should I get a KSM-440ADM? Or if it's just the laser that's dying, what part would I have to source and replace? Or is there some other test or adjustment I ought to try? Thanks y'all. :D

Punch
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Punch » February 14th, 2021, 2:06 am

I never had any luck with those drives either, they're really subpar... You can either buy a KSM-440BAM from TotalConsole or buy a used PSOne and take a gamble that the laser is still in working order.

http://totalconsole.com/KSM-440BAM-Lase ... p_370.html

I'd buy units there but not only it really becomes expensive through currency conversion for me but the shipping is the last nail in the proverbial coffin. What I did was actually buy a PSOne for playing, realize the drive was perfect but the console had some weird intermittent reset issues, then just put that drive into my fat PS1 (actually a 7501). In both scenarios you need a flat extension cable which is cheap and plentiful everywhere. Now my PS1 works even better than the japanese FAT one I used to have back in the day.

Ultimately, since it's a 5501, I'd recommend you buy an XStation ODE instead of going through this spare part hunt nonsense. I actually got mine last week and I immediately put my perfect PS1 into storage.

szalay_1
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Cheat Device Code Creator
PlayStation Model: 5502-7502

Post by szalay_1 » February 16th, 2021, 3:48 am

Yes true, i did ordered from eBay the "laser pickup (KSM-440ADM)"
this is the third order.
All laser head are shit, they made rare crappy chinese
laser units ! they are cheater, they trick people !
I have few original laser unit from 1996 years, but for SCPH-7xxx
the last my chance the "flat extension ribbon cable method"

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 17th, 2021, 8:09 pm

szalay_1 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 3:48 am they are cheater, they trick people !
Yes. Don't expect any lesser from the Chinese. They will cheat and lie in order to make money by any means possible.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

szalay_1
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Cheat Device Code Creator
PlayStation Model: 5502-7502

Post by szalay_1 » February 24th, 2021, 12:33 am

Yes you are right !
I need solve the laser units for my SCPH-5502 what is i upgraded to 8MB of ram, to done my job..