Increasing the longevity of a SCPH-100x?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
shawly
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Increasing the longevity of a SCPH-100x?

Post by shawly » November 7th, 2020, 11:55 pm

So I've been thinking about how I could increase my systems longevity, since the unit had a defective laser when I picked it up I replaced it with a KSM-440BAM and it worked perfectly fine again. I also installed a PSIO so the drive only needs to be used for games which have compatibility issues (if I ever should have issues).

But I've read that some models, especially earlier units have the issue that the heat from the PSU can negatively affect the laser.

My question was, would it make sense to add a small 40mm fan to take out hot air from the system and 3D print a small separation wall to isolate the PSU from the rest of the hardware?
Or should I just invest the money for a PicoPSU like this one?

The fan solution basically wouldn't cost me additional money since I got what I need for that mod, but would it be effective?

TheShadowRunner
Verified
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Enthusiast
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1000

Post by TheShadowRunner » November 11th, 2020, 3:19 pm

A fan kills the look :P
What I do is use a 700x power supply in my 100x (500x to 900x series power supplies are ok) as it seems to produce much less heat than the original.
The catch is you have to mod the cable.
pinout.png
wire.png
As you can see the 100x needs one extra GND and one extra 3.5V versus 5-900x, just duplicate them and be careful to match the rest properly (reset to reset, +8v to +8v).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shawly
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by shawly » November 12th, 2020, 5:25 am

How would an internal fan kill the looks? :P
Using the PSU from another model sounds like a good idea!