SCPH-1002 - New laser lens questions

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Sylus
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

SCPH-1002 - New laser lens questions

Post by Sylus » October 28th, 2020, 3:00 am

Hi,

I'm looking to repair my old PlayStation 1 SCPH-1002, specifically the optical drive which fails to read discs. I've done my homework and know that I need a new KSM-440 laser lens (which I've sourced on eBay), however I'm not sure which variant I need: the KSM-440 ACM, AEM or BAM.
https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/
I understand the BAM is designed for the PSone and addresses all the faults in the previous iterations. All that needs to be done is replace the face plate of the BAM with the face plate on the original laser lens in order for the new drive to fit into the console. The problem is that, apparently, the ribbon cable may be too short for the SCPH-1002, and I might need to adjust or recalibrate the drive too. I have no skills or tools for adjusting voltages and so on.

Basically, is it safe to get the BAM? If not, should I get the ACM or AEM and are they compatible on SCPH-1002?

Cheers in advance.

masmorra
Donator & Supporter
Donator & Supporter

Post by masmorra » November 20th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Hi, I bought the BAM version for my SCPH-1001 (I believe the only difference is the region, my lens is on the left side. The cable fit, but the aliexpress lens that I bought was not working, so the guy who fixed it for me changed some parts using the aliexpress version on the 'original' lens. But if fit ok, (just changing the cover plate)

szalay_1
Active PSXDEV User
Active PSXDEV User
I am a: Cheat Device Code Creator
PlayStation Model: 5502-7502

Post by szalay_1 » December 1st, 2020, 5:35 am

Warning
If you would like to order from ebay or Aliexpress !
these are the chinese lame poor clone laser lens
the main problem the poor not fit mechanics/gears.

I have did ordered for my SCPH-5502 "new" laser pickup KSM-440ADM but all are has mechanics bug
(KSM-440ADM for SCPH-100x-550x) now I am currently waiting for the third from seller maybe i get lucky..
(the last chance, i will replace the laser lens from chinese to original if it works)