Help identifying DTL-H1100 motherboard/modchips (if any)

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
fisetdavid26
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Help identifying DTL-H1100 motherboard/modchips (if any)

Post by fisetdavid26 » July 2nd, 2020, 6:34 am

Hello everyone.

First post! A little about me: I'm a PS1 collector and I've been interested in Net Yaroze development for a number of years (I've had a Net Yaroze for years but finally acquired the required development tools just recently). I just need a compatible old school PC now to get cracking.

In the meantime I got myself a DTL-H1100 blue debugging station. I was quite chuffed because it's in its original box (matching serial numbers) with manuals and all the necessary leads, correct external PSU, etc.

However upon booting up a game the "SCEI" string appears beneath "Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment xxxxx" on the PS family logo screen. I've read that there shouldn't be that SCEI string on a genuine debug, so that worries me.

I've opened up the console and immediately I saw that the sticker on the motherboard doesn't match the serial number on the back of the console (301165 on the mb vs. 301163 on the label).

I'm not really familiar with the modchip scene, but I can't see any on the motherboard. The motherboard is a PU-8.

I've seen on YouTube another DTL-H1100 and a DTL-H1200 that also display the SCEI string, but also a DTL-H1102 that doesn't.

So my question is: what's going on? What have I got exactly?

Thanks a lot for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ichisuke
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Ichisuke » July 6th, 2020, 8:01 pm

PAL blue debug here. Same serial inside and outside. No SCEE, SCEI or whatever. Only the Licensed by etc...
Mine is dated February 1997 on the sticker.

BTW did you look behind the motherboard for a modchip?

fisetdavid26
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by fisetdavid26 » July 26th, 2020, 4:22 am

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

No modchip. I was informed by another collector that all NTSC J region debugs (blue or green) display the SCEI string on the PS logo screen. PAL and NTSC U/C debugs do not.

I got ahold of two green NTSC J debugs (not modded of course) and they both show the SCEI string, proving the theory.

I'm really glad it's legit :)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » July 28th, 2020, 4:05 am

Easy test to do is if it boots a CD-R and there is no modchip then it's legit. As far as I knew, all debugs had a nulled HC05 license.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.