BIOS Questions

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
rorysl
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

BIOS Questions

Post by rorysl » March 18th, 2020, 12:23 am

Hi all, this is my first post -- I have a PSx SCPH-1001 and SCPH-5501. I've read through the thread here on swapping BIOS chips and it's definitely something interested in and I'm sure I'll be chiming in on that thread soon. But before I do, I wanted to post this thread and see if I can better understand the different BIOS versions.

From my understanding:

NTSC-U/C - The NTSC bios across all versions is the colourful rainbow version, yes? And Soundscape was added in versions 700x+?

PAL - The PAL bios was the grey blocky version and the CD Player featured different sound options (Dome, Hall, Church, Studio, Direct) -- if I'm correct on that, was it across all versions??

NTSC-J - Which Bios did this feature? The colourful or the grey? If the colourful was Soundscape likewise only added after version 7000

Am I correct on the above? If not, can anybody give me some more info? Thanks in advance!