SCPH-1001 PU-8 MM3 Stealth Mod Chip Installation

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Haldrie
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

SCPH-1001 PU-8 MM3 Stealth Mod Chip Installation

Post by Haldrie » March 31st, 2019, 7:29 am

I am going to come out and say that I did not come up with this but I can't find the original post I found the diagram I used so I made a new one using a picture I took of my own MM3 stealth installation. I am posting this to debunk the claim that you cannot install a MM3 with Stealth on a SCPH-1001 PU-8 motherboard as anyone can follow this diagram and see that stealth should work as it does for me. For anyone who finds this useful you are very welcome. If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask though my knowledge is limited to mostly just following diagrams and what little I read in forums like this one. My install has the chip in a 8-pin DIP socket on the other side of the board for each access so I can swap out chips for testing or just replacing if something goes wrong with the chip itself. I originally did this using a 12F629 chip but replaced it with a 12C508A chip so I could use the other one for something else and I had a ton of 12C508As that I finally learned how to flash correctly (yes I flash my own chips). Again the attached diagram I made myself just so I could post it here to be helpful to anyone looking to install a MM3 mod chip and get Stealth on their SCPH-100x PS1 as I saw another post where someone told them it wasn't possible. Oh and as for the diagram going around showing another 7 wire installation for this board I also tried it and it only functioned as a 4 wire install with no stealth though you can see my pin 4 wire is in a different place then that one if you have seen it and the pin 7 wire is located on another point which happens to lead to the same spot as that other diagram but is closer to the side of the board I folded the chip over on to so my wire can be just that much shorter.

damiank94
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by damiank94 » October 9th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Could someone tell me why Mayumi v4 is supposed to not work on PU7/8/16 boards?

Haldrie
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Haldrie » October 10th, 2019, 4:58 am

Mayumi requires a clock signal from the PS1 itself so my guess would be that no one has found a good spot to get a clock signal from but that's just my thoughts on it. It could also be that people didn't think the MM3 stealth mode worked on at the very least the PU-8 board and that only the old 4-wire method would work so no one has bothered to look for one. I bet if someone could find out where to pull a clock signal from that the Mayumi chip might work just as well as the MM3 in stealth mode based on the diagram I posted in the first post just with the added clock wire. I'm not any kind of expert on this I just happened to find someone's post at one point with this working stealth wiring for MM3 so take what I say with a huge grain of salt as to how true any of my statements really are.