Questions about my motherboard

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Steveproxy
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Questions about my motherboard

Post by Steveproxy » January 5th, 2019, 5:06 am

My PSone is a SCPH-102 PAL PM-41 (A), it was working yesterday with the modchip, my playstation used to turn on without showing any image nor sound on the TV, then I removed the modchip and it stopped working (it doesn't turn on).

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » February 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am

Was it you who jumped all those fuses or did you get it in that shape? What a mess... :(
Fuses blow for a reason. You need to remove all those wires and reinstall working fuses.

And it looks like you jumped a capacitor in one of the images.
Might just be the thing that is killing (killed) it as that's a direct short from power regulator to ground.
psone short.jpg
If you are lucky besides the fuses you will only need to replace that power regulator.

Edit: I see now that there is also a jumped capacitor in the last image (near the PS600)... :cry:
You basically shorted power to ground at multiple points on the motherboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shendo on February 2nd, 2019, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » February 2nd, 2019, 1:11 pm

Yeah, the board is toast.
It'd be a huge repair project for a professional with proper tools.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 3rd, 2019, 4:15 pm

Fuses are there for a reason. You'd have to clean all the bridging and crusty flux off, check for shorts, find what component you just fried and then swap it out. It's fixable, but he question is though, why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.