PSOne Screen Issues

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
PSXMaster
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

PSOne Screen Issues

Post by PSXMaster » February 23rd, 2013, 11:30 pm

Hello!

I'm having a hard time with my PSOne lately. The screen is "rolling" and is divided into 4 sections, almost like a PAL/NTSC issue. Its a PAL console and I was able to play NTSC games perfectly fine before, but the issue happens on all games, even at the memory card/audio CD screen. If i leave the console turned on it goes away after some time (cca. 10min) with some screen tearing which also goes away after a while.
Before this issue I've noticed some minor screen tearing when there's a high contrast (such as white text on a black background), but usually it would go away after some time playing. After having not played in months, I've got the screen rolling when I turned the console on. It now happens every time when the console's not turned on in hours.
I intended to get PSIO for this particular console, but I'm not sure anymore if the console would be worth it to solder it on.
So... has anyone a suggestion what could be the problem and how to fix?
I'm so exited about this project and am really looking forward to it. I would like to fix the console and be ready for PSIO, since its hard to get a Playstation where I live.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: it has a modchip in it. Games boot fine and even the laser is in good shape (still the original one). If any other information is required let me know.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » February 23rd, 2013, 11:41 pm

It could be anything. You can try removing the modchip for the first test, and then re-soldering the video IC, and possibly GPU if problems persist. It may also be a short issue, so be sure to check for the last metal plate making contact with the board (just take it out as a test and power on the console as you would normally).
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

PSXMaster
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by PSXMaster » February 25th, 2013, 12:22 am

OK, thanks for the input. Now that I think of it, it might aswell be a short as you say. I remember that I once I lifted the console and turned it sideways. It caused a reset. After that I've heard a piece of something being in the console. It was a piece of plastic (from the housing I would presume). At that time it was still working alright, just with that slight screen tear.
I removed the metal plate and took out the motherboard. Cleaned it a bit and tried to turn it on... still the same.
As for soldering, I would need to pay someone to do it. Don't have the skills to solder things that small. It's probably not worth the hassle :(.

Yuri^Cybdyn
Verified
Cybdyn Systems
Cybdyn Systems
I am a: Embedded Developer (MCU & FPGA)
PlayStation Model: 5502

Post by Yuri^Cybdyn » February 25th, 2013, 9:05 pm

i faced with such problems and it was caused of bad cxd2106.

PSXMaster
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by PSXMaster » February 27th, 2013, 7:10 am

I see. Guess I'm out of luck then. Many thanks for the info.