Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Post Reply
moddy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 2
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

Post by moddy » September 20th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the whole PSX hacking scene, so hello! I got a bit nostalgic recently and bought a PlayStation, then thought it'd be kinda fun to understand the hardware a bit better, and perhaps have a go at writing some software.

I've been trying to find out what the part number for the parallel io connector is, I've seen a few posts on different boards that it has been figured out (although may not be in production) and I'd love to know what it is. My google fu has failed me..

Thanks!

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
Posts: 135
Joined: July 27th, 2016, 2:26 am

Re: Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

Post by likeabaus » September 21st, 2018, 12:03 am

I'm a bit confused. What exactly are you looking for? Do you have a newer model playstation that lacks the parallel port and you're looking to add one or are you just looking for a pinout of the port?
Buy and sell Bitcoins:
https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=rkv4

User avatar
Shadow
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
Posts: 2261
Joined: December 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Re: Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

Post by Shadow » September 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm

There is no part number for the parallel port. It was a custom connector used by Sony with a similar design to an old SCSI connector. The only company manufacturing this connector is Cybdyn Systems which they use with PSIO.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

User avatar
Squaresoft74
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User
Posts: 159
Joined: January 7th, 2016, 2:55 am
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

Post by Squaresoft74 » September 23rd, 2018, 2:29 pm

Shadow wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
The only company manufacturing this connector is Cybdyn Systems which they use with PSIO.
Can some replacements be bought from them ?
I have a few Xplorer carts i'd like to refresh that part (usually left/right sides broken).

moddy
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
Posts: 2
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Re: Part number / identifier for PSX Parallel port

Post by moddy » September 25th, 2018, 4:51 pm

likeabaus wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 12:03 am
I'm a bit confused. What exactly are you looking for? Do you have a newer model playstation that lacks the parallel port and you're looking to add one or are you just looking for a pinout of the port?
Apologies if I wasn't super clear, I already own an SCPH-5502 and I wanted to try interact with the parallel port. Ideally I don't want to desolder the connector on the Playstation board, and I don't want to deconstruct something with that port (say a gameshark) to get one because I don't like tearing apart retro hardware unless there is no other way. There is a limited supply after all :).

I'm pretty good with hardware and software but I am still a noob on doing anything with the playstation. Initially I was hoping to grab a connector and make a breadboard adapter so that I can poke and prod a bit more (that port looks super powerful). Eventually was hoping to write some software.
Shadow wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
There is no part number for the parallel port. It was a custom connector used by Sony with a similar design to an old SCSI connector. The only company manufacturing this connector is Cybdyn Systems which they use with PSIO.
That's a bummer.. I saw some reference suggesting Sony may have based it off an existing connector.. but it was a super old message and no follow up. Bummer!
Squaresoft74 wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 2:29 pm
Shadow wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm
The only company manufacturing this connector is Cybdyn Systems which they use with PSIO.
Can some replacements be bought from them ?
I have a few Xplorer carts i'd like to refresh that part (usually left/right sides broken).
I would also be interested if this was an option.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests