PSNEE ATTiny85 = Perfect Pro Mini = Performance issues?

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Shakz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

PSNEE ATTiny85 = Perfect Pro Mini = Performance issues?

Post by Shakz » June 19th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Howdy Friends,
Just checking here before I spend any more time on this.
I have a PU-22 Mobo in my ps1.
My initial stab at making a modchip worked great with my tiny85 but injection will not work with a hand full of games such as resident evil. In light of this I went ahead and got a few pro mini boards, uncommitted ARDUINO_BOARD, removed my tiny85 and replaced it with the Pro Mini.
After doing this injection does indeed work for games like resident evil where it did not before. Now however cut scenes, intros and the like stutter A LOT as well as music during normal gameplay.
I tried several different games to verify and even used the legit disks to test...the stutterers are still there though.
This is the sketch I used
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kalym ... /PsNee.ino
I expected better performance from the Pro Mini....its weird.
Does anyone else have any experience with making this work correctly? Maybe I forgot to adjust a variable or comment something out?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » June 20th, 2018, 6:36 am

I never had the chip produce such an error, but it is conceivable, if it somehow constantly sends out unlock symbols.
You would see that error by the LED constantly blinking.
If you don't get that error, the LED only lights during boot and whenever the game may do a license check, then your problem is somewhere else.

Shakz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Shakz » June 20th, 2018, 8:55 am

@rama3 thanks for your response man. I have read A LOT of your posts. The weird thing is its doing it with all my games. Spyro, Parasite Eve, FF7 Legit and burned copies. I had the same thought you are...that its injecting over and over so I enabled debug so the led would light during injection and its not...only initial boot...then again at disk read time then it shuts off. I have 3 pro minis (ordered a bundle of 3) so ill give one of the others a try. Perhaps its an issue with the pro mini itself. Its bizarre given the attiny85 worked flawlessly.

Shakz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Shakz » June 20th, 2018, 10:56 am

Ok don't waste any time on this.
I swapped the board....same issue. Totally disconnected the board...same issue. Seems when I swapped from the tiny85 to the Pro Mini I broke something. :-/
Thanks just the same @rama3 for responding and letting me know the issue lies somewhere besides the mod.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » June 21st, 2018, 8:00 am

Hmm, yeah, sounds like the drive performance degraded. I sure hope this isn't related to my modchip's action somehow.
I guess I'll never know for sure about these things.
I did check a ton of signals on the scope though, and everything looked reasonable there.
That's the best I can do with the experience I have now..

Shakz
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by Shakz » June 21st, 2018, 9:47 am

@rama3 its all good m8. The issue was something to do with my wiring. After removing all of the wires from the motherboard everything went back to normal. The only spotty soldering I did was for the data pin because whoever else had this ps1 before me tried to mod it and ripped that pad up....so I had to solder directly to the adjoining resister. I should have switched to a finer tip but was too lazy. Maybe a short? Regardless it has nothing to do with the chip or your injection method. I'll just have to start over with some fresh wire and put a little more time into routing said wires. Again thank you for looking into it from your end.