Audio problem psx SCPH 5502

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
VirtualDream
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Audio problem psx SCPH 5502

Post by VirtualDream » September 21st, 2017, 2:22 am

Hi all im New in this forum:) I want to know why my PreOwned psx SCPH 5502 will play games without audio in FMV, the classic PSX start audio is there, but when I put for example Resident Evil 2 the FMV audio isn't there :/ and in Medievil 2 also there's no audio in FMV and in-game the only sound you can hear is the music sound and no ambient sound and no voice in in-game cutscenes I can make a video if you request.

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » September 21st, 2017, 5:00 am

Are these copies or originals you're having issue with (or both)?

VirtualDream
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by VirtualDream » September 21st, 2017, 7:48 am

Thanks for the answer:) both.
At first I thought it was RGB cable problem but it wasn't.
I forgot to mention that today I've open the console and I've found this is this normal??

VirtualDream
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by VirtualDream » September 22nd, 2017, 6:13 am

No one can help me??

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » September 22nd, 2017, 11:29 pm

Not really. Your description about ambient/music/sound is leaving it rather unclear which sound sources you are talking about. Is it SPU sound working, and XA-ADPCM sound streamed from CDROM to SPU not working? That could happen technically - if there's some sort of broken connection between CD and SPU chips - but it would be a quite uncommon problem; unlikely to happen in real life.
Service manual with schematics is here http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 000#p12998

PS. Posting a photo with shielding plates, no, that isn't normal. Do you expect anybody to see anything other than shielding plates?
PPS. And why didn't you test Audio CDs?

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » September 22nd, 2017, 11:58 pm

That shielding plate is stock on all psx (and possible psone, I can't remember to be honest) models. Sony wanted to make it difficult to get to the motherboard for reverse engineering (and installing modchips etc). Its completely unnecessary. As for the audio issue, yeah we need more specifics. Can you make a video of this issue. Also include audio cd's playing in said video for comparison so we can try and pinpoint the issue....

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:30 am

The shielding is for passing regulations. Consoles without the shielding are susceptible to EMI and are EMI producers themselves.
Such a console will work, sure, but it will now affect nearby electronics much more than it should.

Regarding the issue with this PSX, it is most likely a damaged IC or motherboard trace.
The board certainly looks like it could be damaged.

VirtualDream
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by VirtualDream » September 24th, 2017, 2:25 am

likeabaus wrote:That shielding plate is stock on all psx (and possible psone, I can't remember to be honest) models. Sony wanted to make it difficult to get to the motherboard for reverse engineering (and installing modchips etc). Its completely unnecessary. As for the audio issue, yeah we need more specifics. Can you make a video of this issue. Also include audio cd's playing in said video for comparison so we can try and pinpoint the issue....
I Will make a video soon :) I will record both game and music cd