SCPH-1002 Modchip(MM3?)(PU8,PIC12C508A)(Questions)

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

SCPH-1002 Modchip(MM3?)(PU8,PIC12C508A)(Questions)

Post by alfonsg00 » September 19th, 2017, 7:45 am

Hi!

I just bought a Ps1 SCPH-1002(PU8) last weekend.

I'm looking to mod the ps1 with a modchip. I have bought a K150 programmer, 2x PIC12C508A, 2x PIC12F508(I also bought a socket for the pic so I can switch the chip easy if i need). Which chip/program is the "best" for my system/board?(MM3?) Like most advanced. I bought double of the pics because the 12F chip doesn't seem supported by the k150 programmer? Which chip do you think that I should use?

Can someone link/post a picture with the wiring of the modchip for my motherboard?(MM3 if you think that's the way to go :D ).
How do you count the pins of the pic? Like on some pictures that I have seen says pin 1-6 with arrows on the solder point.

Do you guys have any tips/tricks for me? Links?

I have also read about the color correction mod. Is it worth it? To play ntsc games properly. But why do you want to play ntsc games? Is it because of some games were only released for ntsc or because of the speed 50/60hz?
Can some post/link a picture of the color correction of my board too?

Thank you for your time!

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » September 21st, 2017, 11:26 am

PU-8 boards aren't supported by MM3 or Mayumi 4. Those chips are normally recommended.

I believe "Stealth 2.8" (or similar) is the next best thing out of the classic modchips.

If you ditch the PIC and get an Arduino, try PsNee! It supports stealth on PU-8.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 120#p12683

alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by alfonsg00 » September 21st, 2017, 3:57 pm

rama3 wrote:PU-8 boards aren't supported by MM3 or Mayumi 4. Those chips are normally recommended.

I believe "Stealth 2.8" (or similar) is the next best thing out of the classic modchips.

If you ditch the PIC and get an Arduino, try PsNee! It supports stealth on PU-8.
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 120#p12683
Thank you for the reply!

I also read something about that. Some people says that the MM2 supports stealth on pu-8 boards and also the Mayumi v1. Mayumi v2 needs another pic i think. What do you think? The thing is that I have read about people that got problems with the stealth 2.8 and it won't boot up games that often.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » September 22nd, 2017, 5:21 am

None of the old chips managed 100% stealth on PU-7 and PU-8. Mayumi 2.x and the MM2.x series chips were pretty good, but they all used the same basic approach that timed the boot process and used the x1/x2 line from the CD controller to work out where in the boot process the console was. This was somewhat problematic on those old consoles because of the CD wear issues, which resulted in the timing being very inconsistent between different machines.

The "Stealth 2.x" series of chips used a different approach, which was to shut the chip off when keypad activity was detected - this was easy to work around, since all the game developer had to do was check for a chip before calling InitPad(), which was what Dino Crisis did - most of the modchip developers reacted to this by adding special dino modes that had adjustable timing. On the PU-7 and PU-8, you still generally had to play with these settings depending on how good or otherwise your CD pickup was.

This was also the time that the people writing mod chips started making different chips for each region, since examination of the Sony anti-modchip code made it clear that a chip outputting multiple regions could be detected - although in the end, Sony never actually did this.

alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by alfonsg00 » September 22nd, 2017, 6:03 am

TriMesh wrote:None of the old chips managed 100% stealth on PU-7 and PU-8. Mayumi 2.x and the MM2.x series chips were pretty good, but they all used the same basic approach that timed the boot process and used the x1/x2 line from the CD controller to work out where in the boot process the console was. This was somewhat problematic on those old consoles because of the CD wear issues, which resulted in the timing being very inconsistent between different machines.

The "Stealth 2.x" series of chips used a different approach, which was to shut the chip off when keypad activity was detected - this was easy to work around, since all the game developer had to do was check for a chip before calling InitPad(), which was what Dino Crisis did - most of the modchip developers reacted to this by adding special dino modes that had adjustable timing. On the PU-7 and PU-8, you still generally had to play with these settings depending on how good or otherwise your CD pickup was.

This was also the time that the people writing mod chips started making different chips for each region, since examination of the Sony anti-modchip code made it clear that a chip outputting multiple regions could be detected - although in the end, Sony never actually did this.
Hi!
Thx, seems like you know much about this :D , looked everywhere for an explanition between the different chips but I couldn't find any until you made one.
Do you know of the dino mode will save? Like to the next time you start a game that needs stealth. Because of what you have stated the Stealth 2.x could be better for me? At least work better because of the dino modes? The stealth v2.8a seems to be the latest? Do you guys know where i can find a diagram for the wires on my mob?

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » September 22nd, 2017, 8:59 pm

Unfortunately, no - the chip with multiple "dino modes" was Stealth 2.8a, and that didn't save it, so you had to hold down the RESET switch for 3 seconds to switch mode every time you turned the console on.

Mayumi 2.1 (the one that ran on the PIC16F84) has the current operating mode stored in EEPROM, so if you have one of those old consoles (the ones with a PU-7) it's a good choice.

If you have a machine based on a PU-8, then honestly the best choice is to use Rama3's modified Psnee code, since that should have 100% stealth, and it's the only chip I know of that does on that board.

If you want to use stealth 2.8, then I have attached the install diagrams (there are 2, depending on which mechacon CPU your board has)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by alfonsg00 » November 10th, 2017, 10:36 am

TriMesh wrote:Unfortunately, no - the chip with multiple "dino modes" was Stealth 2.8a, and that didn't save it, so you had to hold down the RESET switch for 3 seconds to switch mode every time you turned the console on.

Mayumi 2.1 (the one that ran on the PIC16F84) has the current operating mode stored in EEPROM, so if you have one of those old consoles (the ones with a PU-7) it's a good choice.

If you have a machine based on a PU-8, then honestly the best choice is to use Rama3's modified Psnee code, since that should have 100% stealth, and it's the only chip I know of that does on that board.

If you want to use stealth 2.8, then I have attached the install diagrams (there are 2, depending on which mechacon CPU your board has)

Hi!

I have tried to mod my ps1 now. It had an old mod chip that i removed. I followed an guide and installed the stealth 2.8a chip for pal. The system works with normal discs but it won't load burnt games. The disk reader just starts and stops a couple of times before stopping. I noticed that the motherboard could have been replaced. Because my spch 1002 should have had the pup 8 board with the old 80 pin board. It seems to have the pup 8 board with the new 52 pin board. That's why I followed the picture for the 52 pin board because if i followed the 80 pin diagram some solder points was missing. I have tried 2 burnt pal games, The lost world and crash bandicoot racing and none of them worked. I'm thinking of maybe the board got changed to another region board for example ntc something? Look at the pictures please. First with the old chip and secound with the new stealth 2.8a chip.
Last edited by alfonsg00 on November 10th, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by alfonsg00 » November 10th, 2017, 10:41 am

TriMesh wrote:Unfortunately, no - the chip with multiple "dino modes" was Stealth 2.8a, and that didn't save it, so you had to hold down the RESET switch for 3 seconds to switch mode every time you turned the console on.

Here are the pictures, first old secound with the new 2.8a stealth: Image Image

alfonsg00
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by alfonsg00 » November 11th, 2017, 3:47 am

Found the problem. Burned to dvd-r and not cd-r. Works now! 😀