PSNee further development

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
rama3
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Re: PSNee further development

Post by rama3 » January 14th, 2020, 3:18 am

Dark-Show:
No, I doubt this particular problem is a carry over.
The code simply has to open-drain the data pin to fix the problem. This is obvious to a modchip developer, so I think it was just an oversight.

From what I remember, the laser fix is required because the Mechacon in these PS2s tends to crash.
It's not known what causes it to crash, but we know that later versions are stable again.

bugmenot:
This isn't a modchip problem. Your TV simply doesn't work with PAL timings.
A PAL game will set the console's output to 50Hz, which many NTSC region TV don't recognize.

bugmenot
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by bugmenot » January 18th, 2020, 6:43 am

rama3 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 3:18 am
bugmenot:
This isn't a modchip problem. Your TV simply doesn't work with PAL timings.
A PAL game will set the console's output to 50Hz, which many NTSC region TV don't recognize.
i'm playing on a PAL PSone and a PAL tv (not CRT). I also changed the scart svideo cable to a scart RGB cable. The picture is so much sharper. But the vertical offset remains there...

PS: the forum still uses http instead of https on an IIS 8 instead of IIS 10 (windows 2012). Just pointing this out as an IT guy ;-)

chriz2600
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by chriz2600 » February 12th, 2020, 8:47 pm

rama3 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 12:36 am
As said in pm, the original license is a free for all. Feel free to use it and good luck! :)
Just wanted to share the ESP32 port of PsNee as used on PS1HDMI.

https://github.com/chriz2600/PsNee-ESP32

The repository contains a demo project based on esp-idf v3.3.1.

Thanks again!

rama3
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » February 14th, 2020, 4:20 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing back! :)

I'd just like to mention that, since you have the ESP32, you should be far less pin constrained.
With more available inputs, you can use some other signals to simplify things.
There is a signal called XSLOW or similar, for example, which is just the drive speed (either x1 or x2).
Using that, you may be able to remove all the hysteresis stuff, as unlock symbols must only appear at x1 speed ;)

zoinknoise
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by zoinknoise » February 29th, 2020, 7:59 am

rama3 wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 5:52 am
Nextria:
Search this forum or Google for PSX color oscillator mod. This is what your board needs.
But it is a difficult mod and the result looks pretty bad. I recommend you use a later revision PSX.
hi rama3, remember me from 2 years ago on github? i found those 3 non-working Konami games and you patched the code so quickly :praise

anyway i just want to point out there is one single PS1 model that can be TRUE dual region, 100% correct PAL and NTSC, and that is the PU-8(2) board. this is actually the Net Yaroze board, but you can find it easily and cheaply inside SCPH-1001 consoles. as a bonus, you get the NTSC-U BIOS so it will boot anything easily.

if you get the board from a 1001, all you have to do is add this 53.2mhz oscillator:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Re ... ntAw%3D%3D

and you have to add a resistor and a ferrite.

i used a lot of information from this thread and adapted it for my purposes:

viewtopic.php?t=628

you also have to remove the capacitor from the bottom of the board which shorts the PAL oscillator input to ground once you do this mod. so that's 3 components added, 1 removed.

at the end, basically you will have two oscillators in there just like the Yaroze, no hacking or rewiring. you are just adding some missing parts. i have added TRUE PAL to both of my PU-8(2) boards with this mod and it works perfectly, much more satisfying than spending $$$ on a Yaroze.

rama3
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » February 29th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Yea, these are the nicest consoles for multi region.
It's rare for NTSC people to look for one, but here in PAL land, they're occasionally asked for :)

I think I made a couple of these.
As you say, you need a PU-8 board for the easiest install (though it works on every PSX if you bodge it!).
Applicable boards are (from memory) PU-8-21, PU-8-22 and PU-8-23.
In PAL regions, these are in most "SCPH-1002" consoles sold.

Oh, and one thing:
If you followed a guide, please check whether the resistor and ferrite bead are not swapped by accident.
The configuration should be the same as with the originally installed oscillator.
One guide I saw has them swapped.

zoinknoise
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by zoinknoise » March 9th, 2020, 2:21 am

rama3 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 3:36 pm
If you followed a guide, please check whether the resistor and ferrite bead are not swapped by accident.
The configuration should be the same as with the originally installed oscillator.
One guide I saw has them swapped.
hehe yes, that did trip me up for a minute. but i think by the time i took that photo, i had them installed correctly.

wyatt8740
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, wannabe EE
IRC: wyatt8740
Motto: Who taught him to solder?
PlayStation Model: 1001,5501
Want to Find: More knowledge, maybe parts
Looking to: Learn

Post by wyatt8740 » May 21st, 2020, 6:45 am

Mine's a PU-8(1) board (meaning it has the dual-ported VRAM and old GPU), so I'm out of luck with the easy dual-oscillator mod I guess. Also the case is incredibly brittle and all the screw posts are gone so it's held together with hot glue so I try to avoid re-opening it (requires prying on brittle plastic).

Anyway, more on-topic: would it be helpful for me to write a little guide on flashing ATTinys using avrdude? It's probably something most people here have figured out, but setting the fuses is kind of tricky if you aren't used to it, and I've found it easier to use avrdude than try to make the IDE work with them on ATTiny's, personally. I'd be happy to write a little guide if there's a chance it'd get put in the git or on the project wiki or something.

Also, I have an ATTiny85 working in my SCPH-9001 (PU-23) board. So does that count as a 'tested' verification? The source code lists it as 'untested'.

I've also made it work with an ATMega32U4 Pro Micro (for my early PU-8 1001) by remapping some pins; shouldn't it be possible to support the 32U4 officially by just using another preprocessor define?

Also, I've noticed PsNee.ino has a singular "carriage return" byte on the last line of the file. The file is otherwise using Unix line endings. Shouldn't that be fixed?

As an aside, interestingly, on my PU-18 (5501), I did not have to erase the bootloader on my Uno in order to make it work. I've even played "Year of the Dragon" on it. It might take at most a second longer to start games than the -9001 using an ATTiny85 which has no bootloader, though.

Also note that I think the README.md is wrong; I had to connect 3.5V to my Uno's """5V""" line to power it, since VIN actually passes through the on-board regulator (which is being under-driven). The """5V""" line, meanwhile, is just directly connected to the ATMega328's Vcc pin.

I made a pull request for most of these issues just now (I did not change the ATTiny85's "untested" designation in the PR though).
SCPH-1001 (early PU-8 with old GPU/dual-ported VRAM) (the "please let me die" unit) (November 1995)
SCPH-5501 (PU-18) (Ol' Reliable, featuring the mega-modchip but otherwise in original condition) (October 1997)
SCPH-9001 (PU-23) (Assembled from my whatever I had lying around; featuring the parallel port to nowhere) (Jan. 2000)
Believe it or not, they're all working fine now.

nicr4wks
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by nicr4wks » May 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

Hi guys, is anyone aware of problems with replacement (china) CD drives and psnee?

I've flashed an Arduino NANO ATMega128p via spi, wired up to a PU-20 scph-7002 PAL console and the arduino light is flashing away like it's injecting but the disc sounds like it's continuously seeking and after ~15 seconds the PS ends up at "Please insert original playstation cd-rom" using original and backup discs.

If i disconnect power to the arduino so it's disabled original discs boot perfectly fine, i'm out of troubleshooting ideas.

I used these resources to workout the pinout and have checked solder points with a microscope to ensure no bad joints, bridges etc.

https://quade.co/ps1-modchip-guide/psnee/pu-20/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhMCT63-h08
and the psnee readme.

Thanks.

nicr4wks
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by nicr4wks » May 22nd, 2020, 8:56 pm

Just commented out other strings so it only injects my region SCEE (PAL).
► Show Spoiler
Original game: boots to music CD screen.
Backup game: 'please insert playstation cd-rom' screen.
Music CD: works OK.

wyatt8740
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Programmer, wannabe EE
IRC: wyatt8740
Motto: Who taught him to solder?
PlayStation Model: 1001,5501
Want to Find: More knowledge, maybe parts
Looking to: Learn

Post by wyatt8740 » Yesterday, 3:57 am

nicr4wks wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am
Hi guys, is anyone aware of problems with replacement (china) CD drives and psnee?
I've used it fine with PSnee on a launch PSX that had a chinese clone drive for a while. Then I got a -9001 with a stripped gear that I replaced and I moved its drive into it.
nicr4wks wrote:
I've flashed an Arduino NANO ATMega128p via spi, wired up to a PU-20 scph-7002 PAL console and the arduino light is flashing away like it's injecting but the disc sounds like it's continuously seeking and after ~15 seconds the PS ends up at "Please insert original playstation cd-rom" using original and backup discs.
What kind of media did you burn? If you burned CD-RW there's a fair chance it would have trouble reading it. You probably already knew this of course, but CD-R's preferred and you didn't specify so just making sure.
nicr4wks wrote:
If i disconnect power to the arduino so it's disabled original discs boot perfectly fine, i'm out of troubleshooting ideas.
I remember having that issue with one of my installs, just resoldering everything fixed it for me, IIRC. Don't forget to use flux, it really helps to make good connections. At worst, remove everything and try wiring it again if you're having trouble keeping track of the connections.
nicr4wks wrote:
I used these resources to workout the pinout and have checked solder points with a microscope to ensure no bad joints, bridges etc.
Just try to reflow (with rosin flux); I've missed points even under a microscope before.
Also, make sure it's not shorting to the shield or anything.
nicr4wks wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 8:56 pm
Just commented out other strings so it only injects my region SCEE (PAL).

Code: Select all

for (byte loop_counter = 0; loop_counter < 2; loop_counter++)
    {
      inject_SCEX('e'); // e = SCEE, a = SCEA, i = SCEI
      //inject_SCEX('a'); // injects all 3 regions by default
      //inject_SCEX('i'); // optimize boot time by sending only your console region letter (all 3 times per loop)
    }
Original game: boots to music CD screen.
Backup game: 'please insert playstation cd-rom' screen.
Music CD: works OK.
You're doing it wrong.
You need to send the 'e' code three times or it throws off the timing (iirc that's the problem anyway). Do this instead:

Code: Select all

for (byte loop_counter = 0; loop_counter < 2; loop_counter++)
    {
      inject_SCEX('e'); // e = SCEE, a = SCEA, i = SCEI
      inject_SCEX('e'); // injects all 3 regions by default
      inject_SCEX('e'); // optimize boot time by sending only your console region letter (all 3 times per loop)
    }
I did this (but with the 'a' code) on all three of my PSNee installs.
The results you gave lead me to believe your installation is likely wired correctly, but I'm not quite familiar enough to be able to guarantee it. It just matches behavior I've seen before.
SCPH-1001 (early PU-8 with old GPU/dual-ported VRAM) (the "please let me die" unit) (November 1995)
SCPH-5501 (PU-18) (Ol' Reliable, featuring the mega-modchip but otherwise in original condition) (October 1997)
SCPH-9001 (PU-23) (Assembled from my whatever I had lying around; featuring the parallel port to nowhere) (Jan. 2000)
Believe it or not, they're all working fine now.