PSNee further development

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » June 30th, 2017, 2:14 am

It depends... When you say "remove the 5V from the FTDI", do you mean replace with 3.3V? Many adapter devices have a jumper to select the voltage.
Remember that it's not only the power that's affected, but also the signaling connections!

Only my latest code update has the data and gate pins moved away from the Arduino hardware SPI so you should desolder those wires first.
Then, if you can select 3.3V on your FTDI, it is safe to connect the signaling wires and power the Arduino with the PSX.
This is what ICSP is meant for :)

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » June 30th, 2017, 3:10 am

Aha then I will try to use the 3.3V ftdi and let the psx power the arduino. I did use the 5V on mu pm-41 board and it survived but I will start to use the 3.3 and see if that goes well. :)

Thanx for the help, I will try the new code and also make some pictures for the hookup:)
Last edited by culexus on June 30th, 2017, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » June 30th, 2017, 4:52 am

culexus wrote:Thanx for the help, I will try the new code and also make some pictures for the hookup:)
If you do so, please also include the signal names (GND, VDD, DATA, SQCK, etc). The "Arrow 1", "Arrow 2", "Arrow 3" etc. notation that is common for other modchip soldering guides is really ugly. It's okay for people whom don't want to understand why they are connecting the wires, but it isn't really helpful for people whom want to know what they are doing.

Btw. I am still not 100% sure where the "DATA" wire is connected to on newer boards... to the pin named "CEI" in service manuals? I would guess so... mainly because rama asked what the "CEI" pin is good for a while ago (and because at least some other modchips did actually connect a wire to to "CEI").
Anyways, as far as I know, it wasn't ever specified if psnee is meant to connect DATA to "CEI", too (all I know is that DATA is said to be "point 6 in old modchip diagrams", which, well, yeah, one could try to reverse-engineer if those old modchips did assign "CEI" as "point 6", but there should be an easier and more foolproof way to get that info).

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » June 30th, 2017, 6:01 am

I will do my best:) what will be the best way to uploade the pictures?

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » June 30th, 2017, 6:21 am

Nocash: You are right on all your assumptions :)

A bit more clarification:
"Data" or "Point 6" is always the symbol injection connection. On older PSX boards, up to PU-20, this is HC-05 pin 17. Easy.

On newer PSX boards, with the hardened security, it was decided to inject the symbols into a tracking error circuit.
This is always CEI on the unified CD controller CXD2938.
(I don't know what the full name of that input should be, but it is used for fine tracking control in normal operation.)
The original PsNee connects to this, as do all modchips from the 90s and this code.
If you still wonder where the gate went, that functionality is now modulated into the injection signal.

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » June 30th, 2017, 9:27 am

I made this hoockup guide for the PU-23 PAL board, the psxdev restricted any uploade beyond 1mb and res of 1024x1280 so it`s poor quality. I will do a bether job on the SQCK and SUBQ because it`s hard to see exactly where to solder. I did solder on the underside of the board. Will update when I find a bether software to edit the picture.

Please give a hint if there is any error :) I think it`s good to not refere to any of the old modchip numbering but start from the beginning with refernce to arduino hookup pin`s.
It would also be nice if rama3 did note a version number in the code, then I don`t need to get confused if I mix up an old code. If this is all ready done I need to look more carefull :)

Updated pictures:)

Main:

Alternative SQCK and SUBQ on the underside of the board:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by culexus on July 1st, 2017, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » June 30th, 2017, 11:09 am

That looks great, I really like it! :)

2 suggestions:
- You can enhance it a little by coloring the solder points, like so:
http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... =60#p12505
- It's probably best to call it GATE_WFCK to signify this wire has 2 functions (which it is depends on the board).
Otherwise people might be searching for the "missing signal".

I haven't been able to contact TheFrietMan yet. Until then, I don't want to decide on a name yet. I don't even know if he wants this to be "PsNee" ..
Your naming will work for now :)

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » July 1st, 2017, 9:25 am

Did some updates on the pics :)

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » July 1st, 2017, 8:26 pm

Great!
Where did you put your board by the way? This is quite tricky as there's so little space.

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » July 2nd, 2017, 12:33 am

Then I have tested the latest code :) so far so good!

Here you got the placement of the pro mini :) allot of space and easy to uploade new code for later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » July 2nd, 2017, 1:15 am

Yea, there's lots of space if you place the Arduino away from the board.
But the drawback is long wires that can act as antennae and cause problems.
I do like your tidy install but especially the WFCK signal is very strong and could be leaking
into all these analog input pins on the CD DSP.
I probably worry too much but it is worth considering.

You could route your WFCK more directly down the board, so it passes the printed "3".
And the data signal could also go directly down, so it doesn't go by that IC.

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » July 2nd, 2017, 2:50 am

Aha good to know, when I get the time I will change the location for the pro mini and use short wires. In this model there is allot of space so no problem placing it close to the soldering points. I do not want any bugs:) but it looks good for now.

kalymnos77
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by kalymnos77 » July 2nd, 2017, 5:36 am

Culexus I could put your photo on github :?:

culexus
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by culexus » July 2nd, 2017, 10:14 am

Yes no problem:) If you need a bether ressolution pm me:)

kalymnos77
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by kalymnos77 » July 3rd, 2017, 2:46 am

I just tested the latest version and it works fine.
I am posting on github, modifying the indication for the wiring.
I just have a question rama3, you think add the bios patch for the PM-41?

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » July 3rd, 2017, 4:37 am

Some day, yeah, probably.
Theoretically it's just a bit of copy paste but testing it is a pain.
The timing requires that no bootloader is present.

damopinn
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by damopinn » July 3rd, 2017, 9:05 am

I tested on scph 5502 with a pro mini and everything worked fine. I connected the gate pin I don't know if I needed to do that. and In the photo on page 5 one point is SCLK in the readme it's SQCK

Oxygeen
Interested PSXDEV User
Interested PSXDEV User

Post by Oxygeen » July 3rd, 2017, 9:46 am

By the way guys, do you know any stock pot value for my 5502 PS1, i didn't tried that but it could be one of the issues i have since my PS1 took a nap for approximatly 15 years... :lol:

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » July 3rd, 2017, 6:06 pm

Oxygeen: The pot on the mainboard should be left as is. If you've already moved it, put it to center position.
The pot on the laser ribbon cable should also be left as is. If you moved that, you can only correct it using an oscilloscope to measure RF level. (But normally, a good working position is center + a nodge to the right.)

damopinn: Gate is correct. And if the chip works, subcode wires are also right.

damopinn
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by damopinn » July 4th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I edited the PU18 install guide to include the gate pin and changed the name of Sclk to Sqck to match the code.
I hope it's useful for someone