PSNee further development

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Re: PSNee further development

Post by postal2201 » April 15th, 2019, 4:16 am

rama3 , I meant to replace the built-in functions with direct control of ports, and macros. Do not give up on Arduino. On the contrary, the use of Attiny limits the project.

rama3
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » April 15th, 2019, 5:52 am

Nextria:
Search this forum or Google for PSX color oscillator mod. This is what your board needs.
But it is a difficult mod and the result looks pretty bad. I recommend you use a later revision PSX.

postal2201:
The code uses direct port control where speed is required, and can use Arduino functions when not.
Arduino functions are inherently more safe, so using them for non-critical tasks is good.

pewu
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by pewu » June 7th, 2019, 7:53 am

I have a PU-20 NTSC-J frankenstein console with non-NTSC-J bios soldered in place of original, for the purpose of installing this modchip. Unfortunately, PSone PAL was the only chip I could salvage right now. I used Pro Mini clone (Atmega328P) Physical installation went smoothly and PAL games booted just fine, meaning injection worked straight out of the box.

The real ordeal began, when I tried to enable NTSC_fix, so that PSone bios can be patched and boot all region games. At one point it turned out, that when I apply external 3.3V from FTDI board or Raspberry to RX pin on Arduino, BIOS patching code works fine (weird)...

I tried many combination of fuses, to no avail, until I started thinking more logically, and just increased the first delay in NTSC_fix routine to 500 ms. With such setup I tested booting several times, with originals and with backups of those - modchip works flawlessly. My final fuse setup is (E:06, H:DF, L:C2).

Tomorrow I'm going to look for 3.5V source that is drained after reset button press (after all, PSones never had a reset btn, so that was non-issue), but otherwise I finally managed to mod my frankenstein.

Maybe this will save somebody some headache next time.