PSNee further development

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » December 22nd, 2017, 2:33 am

No problem with that :)
Physical installation is just something that often goes unmentioned.
After seeing enough pictures with ripped off SMD components and the wires dangling around, I thought I'd mention it :)

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » January 26th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Hi guys! I see you used parts of my unfinished ATTYNee firmware :)
I am glad that the works were not wasted!

Tell me, is V7 tested with ATmega168?

Sorry for my English.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » January 27th, 2018, 1:45 am

Which part is it? I really liked the SCEX "decoder"! :)

The code works well on the ATmega168.
I recently did a PAL PSOne with an ATmega168. These consoles are the most complex work for the code / MCU, and it worked just fine.
There's tons of RAM and Flash left even :)

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » January 27th, 2018, 11:50 pm

rama3 wrote: January 27th, 2018, 1:45 am Which part is it? I really liked the SCEX "decoder"! :)
Yes, SCEx decoder is my work. :D
Original algorithm of PsNeeV6 spent a lot of resources RAM.
And my main task was to ensure compatibility with ATTINY13A, so I had to optimize all the algorithms.
As a result, the compiled firmware for ATTINY13A takes only 750 bytes. :)
It uses only PORTB, for compatibility, and can easily be transferred to most chips by Atmel.

ATTYNee 0.91 my last version. This is not tested on real hardware, but it works perfectly in the emulator.
This is a link to my project in the emulator https://www.tinkercad.com/things/5vytbHNqErj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » January 28th, 2018, 12:08 am

Did you know that you can have very simple full stealth? I think this would be fitting for your code.

The drive mechanism has a stop switch that gets triggered when the laser is in the innermost position.
If you add a bit of tape to the spot where it makes contact, the contact point gets extended into the SCEX wobble area of the disk.
Now you need one more wire and connect it to the end position switch. (You can use the old lid wire for that, since this stealth mod makes the lid status irrelevant.)
Now, in your code, you can just always send unlock symbols whenever the end position signal is high.
This will work with all protected games, since they move the laser into a non wobble area as part of their modchip detection.
It's simple and it works :)

Some more details:
- The switch is active low, if I remember correctly, and the signal is available on the PSX mainboard.
- The drive controller is programmed with manufacturing tolerances in mind. It ignores the position signal when it's reading the TOC, so there is no problem with adding the tape.
- You might want to experiment with the symbol injection timing. You don't want to disturb the laser too often when it's actually reading the TOC, for example.

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » January 29th, 2018, 5:13 pm

rama3, this is an interesting way. :)
I'll try to do it in my spare time.
But I do not see the need to further develop ATTYNee, since PsNeeV7 is a great firmware. ;)

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » January 29th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Thanks, your work helped a lot! :)

SteveStation
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by SteveStation » February 10th, 2018, 9:33 am

Hello from Portugal
I have installed a arduino pro mini 8Mhz on a PU-18 if the last version of PSNee, and everything works ok tank you rama3 for the code.
But on a PSONE i did not have any luck, again if a arduino pro mini 8Mhz, when the psone is loading the screen appears like is out off sync, scrolling the image from down to up, but only on the boot sequence when it boot to the game it work ok, this is happening on the psone portable official lcd, and on my lcd tv from LG. I belive the problem is from the (NTSC fix), is their a way to fix this.

Link to the video to my psone problem
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dGCbIy ... sp=sharing

This is my arduino install on the psone PM-41
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » February 10th, 2018, 4:28 pm

SteveStation wrote: February 10th, 2018, 9:33 am Hello from Portugal
I have installed a arduino pro mini 8Mhz on a PU-18 if the last version of PSNee, and everything works ok tank you rama3 for the code.
But on a PSONE i did not have any luck, again if a arduino pro mini 8Mhz, when the psone is loading the screen appears like is out off sync, scrolling the image from down to up, but only on the boot sequence when it boot to the game it work ok, this is happening on the psone portable official lcd, and on my lcd tv from LG. I belive the problem is from the (NTSC fix), is their a way to fix this.

Link to the video to my psone problem
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dGCbIy ... sp=sharing

This is my arduino install on the psone PM-41
The reason the image is rolling is that your displays don't support 60Hz and the NTSC fix works by fooling the boot ROM in the console into thinking it's a SCPH-101 boot ROM which doesn't have the territory check, which also results in the boot screens being output in 60Hz (in fact, NTSC4.43), and your displays apparently can't handle that.

Removing the NTSC fix will stop this from happening, but will also mean you can only boot PAL discs. I guess this is not a significant restriction though since you wouldn't be able to display NTSC games anyway.

Nice clean install, though :D

SteveStation
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by SteveStation » February 10th, 2018, 11:07 pm

I have disable the ntsc fix, and now the psone works fine.
So in my case i don't need the A18 and D2 point on the bios chip?

I like my installs to be as clean as possible, i can make this on all psx version and post it, at least on pall versions.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » February 11th, 2018, 4:14 am

Wow, that is some nice installation! Do you mind if I include it in the pictures, for others as a help?

(I would have taken Vcc and Ground from different spots though. You use short and good cables and good soldering, so it's not a problem, but try to avoid routing cables over oscillators. The cables can pick up the high frequency energy.)

I find it odd though that 2 different LCD cannot display NTSC 443. Especially a more modern one shouldn't have any issues.
Did you connect the LG with an RGB cable?

SteveStation
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by SteveStation » February 11th, 2018, 4:33 am

Yes you can use the images if no problem, i will post more install picture for other boards as well.
Tanks for tips about the oscillator, next time i will keep that in mind.
No i din't try if a RGB cable because i don't have one, but i will buy one and test.

TriMesh
Verified
PSX Aptitude
PSX Aptitude
PlayStation Model: DTL-H1202

Post by TriMesh » February 11th, 2018, 5:05 am

SteveStation wrote: February 10th, 2018, 11:07 pm I have disable the ntsc fix, and now the psone works fine.
So in my case i don't need the A18 and D2 point on the bios chip?

I like my installs to be as clean as possible, i can make this on all psx version and post it, at least on pall versions.
You will only need those points connected if you want to boot NTSC disks (either NTSC:J or NTSC:U/C) on a PAL PSone. The PAL PSone has a secondary region check in the boot ROM that verifies that the license area of the disc contains the PAL license data and will refuse to boot the disc if it doesn't.

Since the PAL and NTSC:U/C boot ROMs are almost identical, what the patch does is fool the PAL boot ROM into thinking it's the NTSC one - this has the effect of disabling the secondary region check (because the NTSC:U/C PSone doesn't have it), but also results in the boot screens being output in NTSC mode.

Unfortunately, as you have seen, the official Sony PAL PSone screen doesn't support 60Hz mode at all and just loses frame sync. I once tried to hack one of those screens to be 50/60Hz compatible but gave up when I discovered that the PAL and NTSC versions have different LCD panels with different numbers of physical lines on the display and there was no scan converter in the chipset.

kerobaros
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by kerobaros » February 12th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I'm happy to report that I've gotten PsNee running on an Uno and booting CD-Rs on a 5501. I'd never soldered to anything SMD-sized before, so it was an adventure. Thank you to everyone involved for your work on this project! Next step: get a Pro Mini so I can fit the entire assembly inside the case again.

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » March 5th, 2018, 5:22 pm

My variant for PSone SCPH-102 PM-41(2)
Last edited by postal2201 on April 28th, 2018, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 5th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Oh, that's great. You do the BIOS patch over at the CPU side, right?

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » March 5th, 2018, 9:46 pm

rama3 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 6:21 pm Oh, that's great. You do the BIOS patch over at the CPU side, right?
Yes. One point under the chip.
On this photo you can see.(OneChip installed)
Last edited by postal2201 on April 28th, 2018, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rama3
Verified
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///
/// PSXDEV | ELITE ///

Post by rama3 » March 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Definitely a nice PAL PSOne solution. Is it okay to use your picture in guides?

Also, you seem to be using unusual points for Data and WFCK (I can't remember off-hand which the normal ones are).

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » March 6th, 2018, 12:06 am

rama3 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm Definitely a nice PAL PSOne solution. Is it okay to use your picture in guides?

Also, you seem to be using unusual points for Data and WFCK (I can't remember off-hand which the normal ones are).
Yes, of course you can use it.

postal2201
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by postal2201 » March 6th, 2018, 1:22 am

With WFCK a strange story ... Most of the chips that I came across are using WFCK as a GATE. But for some reason, for the PM-41 (2), the DA07 point was used as the GATE. Maybe the pirates made a mistake making a chart. Since the point works on most chips, the error is not noticed. But PsNeeV7 requires a real WFCK. I used it on my console.

For example, the OneChip diagram:
PM-41 (1) and other uses real WFCK

PM-41 (2) is no longer