Help: Modchip PSone

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
Steveproxy
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Help: Modchip PSone

Post by Steveproxy » January 30th, 2017, 8:34 am

I have PSone slim SCPH-10X

As I've read on the internet I need PIC12C508A and load hex onto it via pic programmer.
Where do I find the hex code and which pic programmer shall I use?

Is this scheme useful for my ps1?

Which one shall I buy for my PSone model if I want to buy a pre-programmed pic from EurAsia?
http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=52

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » January 30th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Due to the super low cost of psx chips these days, I recommend just ordering one preprogrammed from Eurasia. I've been dealing with Eurasia for years now, top notch customer service without a hitch. The owner (Robert) is very helpful as well and super knowledgeable about hardware and modding in general.

I'm honestly not sure what region scph-102 is, can't remember off the top of my head. If its PAL, I highly recommend going with the Onechip, rather than the MM3 as the PAL units have some extra protection in the BIOS. Being someone in the US, I've never had to deal with it, so I don't have much info on that, I just know that the Onechip is recommended for PAL Psone's. Hopefully, someone else with more info will chime in.

If you're console is US or JP, just go with the appropriate MM3 chip and it should play any game you throw at it ;).

As for the diagram, use the one's provided by Eurasia on their website to avoid any confusion.

Steveproxy
Curious PSXDEV User
Curious PSXDEV User

Post by Steveproxy » January 31st, 2017, 1:46 am

My PSone is SCPH-102 PAL, so I should buy this one http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info ... cts_id=275 and refer to the diagram in the bottom that's the related one to PSone chip I've found on EurAsia.
Am I right?

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » February 14th, 2017, 12:45 am

Yes, that's the chip you want to go with, it should play pretty much anything you throw at it. As for the diagram (I've actually forgotten my login details for the Eurasia forums, its seperate from the online shop login) so I can't download it to confirm, but as long as you grabbed the one that's links to on the product page, you should be good.

Some tips, use a fine tip soldering iron and using really thin wire, I recommend 30awg kynar wire. In fact that's what I swear by for most modchip installs, especially psx/psone etc. On the psx/psone you can get away with using the same gauge wire for power and ground as from personal experience it doesn't seem to cause any interference, on other consoles, you often need to use a thicker gauge wire for for those, but the original playstation seems to be resistant to interference. The psx/psone actually isn't that bad to solder to, compared to say the ps2 (that thing is a nightmare, the points are so freakin' tiny, i've yet to ever successfully install a modchip in a ps2, but I've done plenty of psx/psone's and sega saturns (saturns are easy as pie though, so those don't really count :P). If you don't have much experience soldering though, I recommend, fishing some random motherboards/circuit boards out of some dead electronics you have and practice soldering some of that 30awg wire to it randomly to help you prepare for the psone.

Where the psone is slimmer than its large gray predecessor, it is a bit trickier, but still far easier than a ps2 haha. Just take it slow. If you don't already have one, I recommend getting a cheap solder sucker https://www.radioshack.com/products/rad ... ering-pump in case you bridge a connection as they're much easier to use than desoldering braid.

Also the iron I use for modding is also directly from Eurasia, its this one: http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info ... cts_id=409

I imagine you're in the UK (as you're psone is PAL, unless you imported it), that iron is designed to work with 220v which is fine for the UK, but the actual plug itself is a US plug, don't ask me why, but it is, so you'll need an adapter to physically plug it in. Honestly, I use it here in the states without any step up transformer (because the plug fits no problem here) so for all intents and purposes, I get roughly half the wattage I'm supposed to, but it still works great! I'm too lazy to do out the actual calculations, but it works fine for this type of stuff.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, either myself or somebody else will chime in. Good luck and have fun! :)