online play through system link port

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
dobsonatorx
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

online play through system link port

Post by dobsonatorx » January 19th, 2017, 11:04 am

I hope this is the correct section to post.
I was woundering if anyone had got a pair of original playstation consoles to connect to each other throught the serial I/O over the internet using a raspberry pi connected to each console through these ports.
Essentially getting the console to have online play.

if this has been done can i be pointed in the right direction.
if not would anyone be able to give it a go.

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 19th, 2017, 11:45 am

Yes it's possible, but you'd have to program the Pi obviously to route the serial data over TCP/IP. As for the latency, I'm not sure what the threshold would be before the PSX either generates a timeout exception. Best to check out Lameguy's work here.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.

Shendo
Verified
C Programming Expert
C Programming Expert
I am a: Programmer
Motto: Never settle
PlayStation Model: SCPH-7502
Discord: ShendoXT

Post by Shendo » January 22nd, 2017, 4:18 pm

I think ESP8266 module would be a good starting point for this.
Dev console: SCPH-7502, FreePSXBoot, CH340 serial cable.

dobsonatorx
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by dobsonatorx » January 24th, 2017, 2:00 am

is there anyone willing to give it ago as im not the best at programming. better with circuits

likeabaus
Extreme PSXDEV User
Extreme PSXDEV User

Post by likeabaus » January 24th, 2017, 5:42 am

Matt wrote:Yes it's possible, but you'd have to program the Pi obviously to route the serial data over TCP/IP. As for the latency, I'm not sure what the threshold would be before the PSX either generates a timeout exception. Best to check out Lameguy's work here.
I highly doubt system link games have a ping limit on psx/ps1/psone. Ik for a fact that ps2 games don't (I play on xlink kai all the time, doesn't matter how far away the other players are)

However the ps2 uses ethernet for this which is way faster than a puny serial port, so maybe checks were implemented to prevent horrible gameplay over system link in the event that one systemserverly lags the other (due to some sort of underlying hardware fault).

If ping limits are not at play at all, than then theoretically, it "shouldn't" matter how far away the other player is to establish a connection, playability on the other hand, would be a completely different issue. Of course, I've done zero research into how system link works on the original PlayStation, so I'm solely speculating, based on my knowledge of hardware and software (in general) and my experience with xlink kai with the ps2, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt ;)

Shadow
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502
Discord: Shadow^PSXDEV

Post by Shadow » January 24th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Some games might have a timeout detector in place. Sync issues might also happen if packet data is lost. I doubt the PSX libraries or the programmers actually checked any of that stuff since data failure between consoles would be zero. Games like Destruction Derby might work okay where as others like generic first person shooters will be too difficult to play. Really you'd just have to see what happens, but each game might behave very different is all.
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.